using sky magic eye help

Zeus9876

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky tv
ok. just bought a sky magic eye and currently the coax downstairs is connected to the tele via a splitter. when i connect the coax to the reciever the tele upstairs is all fuzzy and can hardly see it. do i need a better coax ? also is this the right setup to use the magic eye ?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Where is the splitter in the chain?
What is the 'downstairs coax'? The aerial lead?
If so, why is it connected directly to the TV and not to the digibox and looped to your TV?

Llew

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Philips 42" 1080p Ambilight, PS3, SKY+ HD, TOSHIBA EP30 HD-DVD PLAYER, SAMSUNG HOME CINEMA SYSTEM
My Location
BIRMINGHAM
I hope someone can help me with this

i have purchased a magic eye for use in my bedroom with my hd box, i have used screened coaxial cable from the sky box to the bedroom although i ran out half way through and connected two cables together using 2 F connectors and a F coupler, and each end there is a standard coaxial attachment.

i have plugged the magic eye into my tv where the light only comes on when the virgin media box is plugged in through the scart? strange when you unplug the scart from the back of the tv the light goes off.

i have tested the light on the back of my sky box and everything is working fine although the LED does not come on i can still see a picture in the bedroom and i can also control the sky box from the bedroom.

the only thing is the picture is very grainy and i dont see how to fix this. the other thing i needed to ask is do i need to coaxial lead from my tv to the sky box? as i do not have one of them connected at the moment. which i think maybe the problem?

can anybody help

Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You've totally confused me, which TV is the media box plugged into?

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Philips 42" 1080p Ambilight, PS3, SKY+ HD, TOSHIBA EP30 HD-DVD PLAYER, SAMSUNG HOME CINEMA SYSTEM
My Location
BIRMINGHAM
the tv link is plugged into the tv in the bedroom

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Remake the connections on the cable, sounds like you either have a partial short or an open circuit.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BIRMINGHAM
you mean re do the tv connectors? i was going to buy some more 'old fashioned' plugs?

or re do the connection with the two F connectors? connecting the two cables together.

do i need to have a coaxial cable from my tv to input 1 on my sky box in order for a better picture in the bedroom?

what i dont understand is that the picture is not very good but watchable and the sound is good, but the LED is not on the tvlink and the led only comes on when the scart lead from a seperate set top box is plugged into the back of the tv.

i was thinking i may need an amplifier?

i've also heard that i can change the RF channel but the tv in the bedroom takes ages to tune .

Thanks for your help in advance

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I mean check every connection in the cable. Disconnect the aerial input into the sky box, then the output should only be the Sky channel, if it is still poor quality, then you either have a cable connection problem, or the magic eye or digibox is faulty. Take the eye out of the loop and you can then eliminate it from the problems.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BIRMINGHAM
what do you mean disconnect the ariel input to the sky box? the only input that i have to the sky box is the lnb and the output is hdmi and rf2 for the magic eye.
ive tested the magic eye at the back of the sky box and power is coming from the sky box and the led is working on the magic eye - as i mentioned before the magic eye was working in the bedroom but the PQ is not very good.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Are you saying that you don't have a terrestrial aerial (or any other signal) connected to the Sky digibox and the only channel being sent up the cable to the other TV is the digibox channel?

If you run a cable from the back of the digibox up to your TV in the room where it is situated, do you get a good picture? If the answer is yes, then it is probably your cable run to the other room causing the problem.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Sorry to cut in, but just thought I'd add and maybe helpful for future reference.....

To discount the link being faulty:

> Place the link itself on the RF2 output of the receiver.
> Make sure the second remote power supply (9V) in switch on.
> Cover the front of the receiver so that it cannot see infra red commands.
> With the remote, point it to the TV link and see if it works. If it does, the Link is fine and you have a possible fault within the cable.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BIRMINGHAM
just to let everybody know i've managed to fix my magic eye, i checked all the cabling and connections and they were all fine and i tested the magic eye and that was working fine, so i replaced the coaxial connectors as i had 2 crappy ones from wilkinsons (the plastic ones) i replaced them for the old fashioned metal ones and now everything is working fantastically well - thanks for all your help