Variable reception

John T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm dish, dual LNB, Topfield TF5010PVR
My Location
North Staffordshire England
The last few days I have had instances of screen freeze etc, and the "strength" meter has been fluctuating. As I have only recently installed a 60cm dish and good dual LNB, I'm hoping it is not an early life failure of the LNB. Could it be that in this foggy frosty weather ice forming on the LNB?
The signal strength is more than my old Sky mini dish, I live in the West Midlands by the way.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Did you correctly skew the twin LNB, also did you seal the LNB connectors?

John T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm dish, dual LNB, Topfield TF5010PVR
My Location
North Staffordshire England
Yes I did seal the connectors. If skewing the LNB means twisting it for Maximun output then yes. The strength and quality were, and still are, higher than with the Sky mini dish.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Yes, signal strength will - obviously - be better than mini dish, since it depends on collecting area.

However, "fluctuating" depends on what you mean! If steady, but seems higher sometimes than others, then that's quite normal, due atmospheric conditons, especially heavy rain.

If it goes up and down while you watch, then that's not normal! Usually due to (moving) trees in signal path, but could be other things.

The critical thing affecting reception is "signal quality", so long as that's maintained it doesn't really matter too much about the strength (due to how the picture is decoded).

I don't think a lnb could start doing this, so it probably isn't that, most possible lnb failure modes would be quite sudden.