Very Newbie help required please

M

MasterAbacus

My Location
Yorkshire
Ive got an anaolugue static system, pics up the odd channel, but im thinking of upgrading it!

Im asumin the LNB is a Analogue one, But i have a spare $ky minidish, could i put that LNB on my 80cm dish?

Are the Sky LNB`s dual singel or Analoge?

Could i keep it as it is, and make it motorizd? does my reciver need to be able to move the dish, or is there a separate control box ill need?

As you can prob gather, ive no idea about any of this, but im just starting out after finding this forum a couple of weeks ago, so any help would be gr8.

P.s Im just wanting a bit of fun, and something to play about with, im not wanting to spend hundreds of pounds, but would like to learn a bit about the sat scene... Cheers in advance guys...

R

robbins1940

If you want to view other satellites you need a bigger dish. The Sky minidish is good only for 28.2/28.5 east.

You need at minium a 80cm dish, if you want to watch Sirius and Thor channels you need at least 1.2m to get all the stations.

You also need a 40mm type universal lnb. The lnb that comes with the minidish will only work with the mindish.

David

M

MasterAbacus

My Location
Yorkshire
Ive got a 80cm normal dish that has an LNB on it! Not sure what kind it is tho, how can i tell?

M

MasterAbacus

My Location
Yorkshire
Does a universal LNB pick up both digi and analogue?

rolfw

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes it does.

M

MasterAbacus

My Location
Yorkshire
How do i know what mine is on my 80cm dish?

rolfw

rolfw

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Tell us what it says on your LNb and well tell you if it's a universal.

M

MasterAbacus

My Location
Yorkshire
its says its an Acer Neweb Corp KU-Band LNBF
L.O.:10.70~12.75Ghz
Gain:55db(Typ.) N.F:0.6db(Typ.)

Does this help, thats everything thats on it!

rolfw

rolfw

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yep, that sounds like a universal, so you should be ready to roll. :)

M

MasterAbacus

My Location
Yorkshire
Thanks for the help guys, now for a question thats yet to answered!

"Could i keep it as it is, and make it motorizd? does my reciver need to be able to move the dish, or is there a separate control box ill need?"

I posted this above, if its advisable, then ill pop out tommrw and buy a Motor kit, Ive bn looking at the Budget DiSEcQ motormount 80cm, Any one any views on this? Im only going for it cos ts the cheapest i can find...

I have a feeling this could turn out to be a fun hobby !!!