Very Very Confused

quinny53

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m funke dish
sky digital with zone 2
My Location
Liverpool
I don’t know if anyone can shed any light on this but I am VERY confused as is the sat engineers who have come out to my property.

We have a Zone2 Sky mini dish installed at the moment with an octo lnb. This is currently installed about 12 foot off the ground. We originally had a Zone1 installed but the breakup was terrible and was replaced with a Zone2 installed on a bracket and pole just above gutter height (~30ft). The picture was better but breakup was still bad with sometimes completely losing signal all together in bad weather. Sky then decided they would try and have a subcontracted company come out and install us with a 1m dish on pole and bracket. When they cam out they could get a very good signal off sat1 but could not pick up 2,3,4,5,6,7,9. They tried everything but the 1m alloy funke dish (which I still have up) just would not get anything except sat1 on Astra 28.2E. So they have put the Zone2 back up with us still having problems. Again why would it pick up sat1 but none of the others?

Has anyone got any ideas on a better/bigger dish we could use? Are alloy dishes with octo-lnbs suitable for sky digi. I don’t care about dish size as long as its not over 1.2m I just want sky to work.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Does the dish have a clear line of sight (no trees or anything in the way)?

Could you or a neighbour be causing interference? Speed camera radar detectors in cars have been known to do this.

quinny53

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m funke dish
sky digital with zone 2
My Location
Liverpool
Yeah its got a clear line of sight. There is no speed cameras in my area (ahmen). Dont think anyone round has got any mad stuff going on which would cause interference. Im just trying to work out why I would be able to link up to sat1 and get a good signal but it wont to any of the other 7sats.

colinp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m motorised qualitv decoder manhatten blind search decoder echostar 3600ip
My Location
glasgow
Sounds to me like the lnb is gubbed.By saying sat 1 etc I presume you mean output 1-8.If so then it is definately your lnb in my humble opinion ,but then again I'm not an engineer .Nor was he by the sound of it.Good luck

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Have you/they tried a different digibox and cable to the dish?

If you have tried a new box, cable and LNB/dish and it has clear line of sight then that really only leaves interference. Is this a constant problem, or does it come and go (apart from in bad weather)?

Which channels can you get, by 'sat1' do you mean Astra 2A?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
quinny53 said:
When they cam out they could get a very good signal off sat1 but could not pick up 2,3,4,5,6,7,9.

This is the statement that puzzles me, what do you mean by it, there are only four co-located satellites at 28.2 East see here there are only six co-located at 13 deg East Hotbird so this does not make any sense whatsoever.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
I thought he meant he has a 8 output lnb and only output 1 works.Maybe 9 was a typing error?

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
I thought maybe he was counting the beams and meant 2A North, 2A South 2b North etc etc - adding hi/low H/V band into that somehow :confused

quinny53

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m funke dish
sky digital with zone 2
My Location
Liverpool
Topper said:
This is the statement that puzzles me, what do you mean by it, there are only four co-located satellites at 28.2 East see here there are only six co-located at 13 deg East Hotbird so this does not make any sense whatsoever.

You will have to excuse me I am not very clued up with satellite stuff.

He said that there was 8 networks or transponders or something but on his meter it was showing at sat1, sat2, sat3, sat4,etc but he said that usually when you find the first one all the others should then link up.

When looking at my zone2 dish now the lnb is not stright its sort of off to the right hand side with a number one on the side. Does this lnb have to be at the same angle on the 1m dish? Its just on a normal bracket on the 1m dish so theres no way to get it at exactly the same angel out to the right hand side.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Has he put the Sky octo on the 1m dish? He should have put a different one on (as the minidish one is only designed for minidishes), and this may well be why the dish is not perfomring like a 1m one should.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
It should be easy* for the sat engineer to hook-up his/her monitoring equipment to your existing set-up (zone 2 SKY dish and SKY octo LN:cool: and establish a decent signal from the array at 28.2E. Testing each of the Octo's outputs one after the other.

If the readings are dud (on any or all of the LNB outputs) then either the the LNB is at fault or the dish is mis-aligned (or, less likely, their is a cloaked Klingon vessel over your neighbourhood). Either way, the engineer should be able to sort any of those problems (with the exception of the Klingon vessel) using his/her talent for the job.

The start point IMHO would be to exchange the LNB for a known working one first and test again (eliminates mis-alignment and obstruction issues). Still a problem, re-align. Still a problem, bin everything and start again or think of first contact with said Klingons.

If the signal is OK outside and breaks-up by the time you start testing your set-up in the house - then the cable/cable run or its distribution is something to address.

The list goes on ................

Whatever happens quinny - make sure to keep the board informed ;-))

quinny53

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m funke dish
sky digital with zone 2
My Location
Liverpool
Well that is what he tried :confused with just a standard sky octo lnb. The LNB has been changed on the zone2 before. The sky heads decided a 1m dish would be perfect for the location and for reception based on calculations because of height of dish they had to subcontract. So your sayin it would not work with an octo mini dish lnb? Would an LNB like in that link be better suited?

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
In Liverpool a Zone 2 Sky dish should be fine, provided there is clear line of sight. But a 1m one should work fine also

Yes, the LNB in the link should work on a normal 1m dish. But do you know the make and model of the octo LNB you have? It is possible that someone somehow fitted a normal one to a minidish so find out what you have before buying anything else (either by yourself or with another installer).

It sounds like your installer wasn't quite sure what he was doing. If you still have the zone2 dish and correct LNB it might be worthwhile trying that again, or at least testing the LNB as suggested.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Just a stab in the dark - maybe a pic of a Zone 2 dish and octo LNB might help. Then, at least, quinny can oggle his setup and report back.

Better still - quinny - take a digital snapshot of your set-up (and maybe a line-of-sight pic too [stand under the dish and take a pic of the the view [whichever direction the armature is pointing]] and post it here ;-)) Close-up shots are a bonus.