VHS to DVD

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Hi

I have got a shitload of old VHS cassettes which I would like to turn into DVD's so I can get rid of the VCR (getting old) and the cassettes as well.

Has anyone got an idea how to do it without having to buy expensive equipment?

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
A decent Graphics card with svideo in and some software. How about that ?

L.:)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
It takes a long, long time to do it - even with a fast processor. :-comp

longreach

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Chaparral receiver Irte 1.8m Dish
Just get one of the new Panasonic Dvd-Ram Hdd recorder, transfer your Vhs tape’s to the Hard drive edited this if required burn to a Caddy Ram Disc keep this as the master then burn to dvd media for every day use.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
longreach said:
Just get one of the new Panasonic Dvd-Ram Hdd recorder, transfer your Vhs tape’s to the Hard drive edited this if required burn to a Caddy Ram Disc keep this as the master then burn to dvd media for every day use.

What are they exactly and how much do they go for?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I use an Adaptec external box (converts input to mpeg) and record to my harddrive. Then start Nero and make the dvd.

It can be as easy as that or use title making software to add menus etc.

longreach

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Chaparral receiver Irte 1.8m Dish

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
longreach said:
T G follow the link this will explain everything you need to know,

http://shop.panasonic.co.uk/icat/dvdrecorders

if you have a dvd-rom or a Dvd-writer or both drives in your computer you can transfer the dvd's you have made with the Panasonic and use dvd software to make professional looking Dvd with menus Etc.

There's even a four in one machine the
http://shop.panasonic.co.uk/invt/dmreh80v

Great stuff but the original post states...

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
longreach said:
T G follow the link this will explain everything you need to know,

http://shop.panasonic.co.uk/icat/dvdrecorders

if you have a dvd-rom or a Dvd-writer or both drives in your computer you can transfer the dvd's you have made with the Panasonic and use dvd software to make professional looking Dvd with menus Etc.

There's even a four in one machine the
http://shop.panasonic.co.uk/invt/dmreh80v

Wow they look really nice, but I think once I come with this one home and explain to my missus that I just used the holiday money for this she will get the Eunichizer out...

I was really looking for a cheap thing, PC based. This Adaptec external box, does it give good results? So you basically connect the box to the VCR, play the VHS and record it onto your PC? How much did you pay for it?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Yes, the results are the same quality as the original tape. The VCR connects to the Adaptec box, and then to the PC. It records in realtime (Sonic DVD is the software) and then "writes" the file as an mpg to the hard-drive (and that's the part that may take time on a slow pc). I then use Nero to make the DVD.

You can see all the ways to do it at www.videohelp.com

You need plenty of RAM though. My box was £30 off ebay, £6 for the lead.

And then I bought 2Gb of RAM ;) otherwise your PC will be unuseable during processing.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I bought a PC DVD recorder thingy last time I was in the US. It cost about $120 all in (including some extra RAM, which wouldnt fit in the PC)

Have a look for a reduced combo DVDR/VCR box in your local Currys/Makros/Lidl. It may not come with remote, but the front panel buttons will allow you to do transfers (Region 2 only though)

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
I use an analogue Hauppauge TV card (£20 or so on eBay I imagine) with an S-Video input. Connect VCR to that (from Scart) and sound to the audio input.

After recording the tape to the hard drive with Win DVD Recorder I make up some menus in Nero by taking stills from the recording, do the same for the menu buttons (chapter selection and so on) then burn to DVD.

Once it’s recorded onto the hard drive, which has to be done in real time and so depends on the length of the tape, it only takes about 30-60mins to do the menus and burn the DVD. The quality is just as good as the original VHS.

If you don’t want fancy menus you could just use a template and it would be even quicker.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
The only disadvantage of a capture card is that it uses the PC's processor to make the mpg whereas an external box takes the load of the processor. Quality is prob the same.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
LiteOn LVW-5026 & 5045 DVDR Recorders + FREE Media

Here...

LiteOn LVW-5026 80GB HDD AllWrite DVDR Home Recorder + Free 25 Pack Ricoh 8x DVD+R Media For £199.99

Or

LiteOn LVW-5045 AllWrite DVD Recorder inc 160GB Hard Drive + Free 25 Pack Ricoh 8x DVD+R Media For £249.98

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
T_G said:
Hi

I have got a shitload of old VHS cassettes which I would like to turn into DVD's so I can get rid of the VCR (getting old) and the cassettes as well.

T_G, I'm about to start this winters trancription of VHSs to DVD again. I did a shitload last winter. My missus is a TV director and I'd like to free up the spare room that holds all the tapes of her shows. She has many 100s.

I do it on PC or Mac, mainly Mac.
VHS -> Hollywood dazzle digitiser -> hdd -> Adobe Premiere or FCP -> mpeg -> author -> burn.
Best mpegger I know is Bitvice on Mac and it has a nice noise reducer for tape output. TMPGEnc is also pretty good. Then Ulead MF to author.

The dazzle was about £200 when I got it 3-4 yrs ago but prices have plunged. You should get a decent one for about 100. Watch out it doesnt produce files with an in-house codec (Pinnacle?) Dazzle gives straight .dv (.avi) which is like a DVC stream.

If I give one other tip, digitising tape always gives chash at the top and bottom and you really need to mask this off, to save bandwidth and to avoid irritation.

The time killer is the step .dv/.avi to mpeg and it can be over 10x play time (a day for a 2 hour tape). So I carry files on a portable little 30 GB hd (taken out of a G4 laptop upgraded to 100) and bung them into a G5 in my office where it goes 2 -3x faster than G4 laptop. You need speed.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thanks Haggard!
It sounds as if this is sort of cheap, but why does it take so long?? A day for a 2 hour tape, that's a killer. It will take forever to get all these hours of VHS converted...

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
T_G said:
Thanks Haggard!
It sounds as if this is sort of cheap, but why does it take so long?? A day for a 2 hour tape, that's a killer. It will take forever to get all these hours of VHS converted...

It was taking me about a day per tape, not standing over it of course, but elapsed time till it was done.

• I set the tape to capture so that is 1 minute per minute
• It's easier to edit the dv file than the subsequent mpeg to top and tail, maybe cut ads (tho be careful about throwing away 20 year old ads, they can be collectors items). So thats another minute per minute to export, maybe 2 mins per minute if I decide to blank off the crap at top and bottom frame.
• Then compress to mpeg. The fastest I have is bitice on a G5 which is 3 mins per min.

So you see, that is 6 mins per minute of tape or 12 hours for 3 hrs.

Now, I was in Hamburg this week and spotted a Dazzle in the local AV store (MediMax at back of EEZ on Osdorfer Landstr but they look like a chain). This converted input coming off VHS straight to mpeg. So switch it on and let it go in one step. You then have to edit mpeg if you want a neat result.
They were about €140. which is cheaper than my original dazzle AV-> dv by a factor 2.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Now, I was in Hamburg this week and spotted a Dazzle in the local AV store (MediMax at back of EEZ on Osdorfer Landstr but they look like a chain).

That's interesting, Haggard. What is the name of the device, do you remember?
That sort of price is interesting, I could probably interest a mate of mine to share it as he needs it too..

bartok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500 CI+
Triax 90cm
Lots of PCs
My Location
Ireland
The latest Pinnacle device is the (Dazzle) DVC90. Around 90€. I got one lately and it works fine.

Two things to watch: First, it only works with Windows XP. Second, the (AVI) DV files it produces are enormous.

It's the compression to MPEG (or any compression) that takes time. That's why people pay more for a hardware real-time MPEG encoder. No convcersion necessary.

Hope this helps,

bartok :)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I use a hardware converter- produces an mpeg in realtime. Subsequent conversion to DVD (using Nero) doesn't take too long, but I do have 2gb of ram to help it along ;)