via digital spanish reciever. now what?

palostick

Reaction score
V. grateful if anyone could advise me on the following:

I currently have a Echostar 808ci receiver pointed at astra 19.2 and am receiving all the fta spanish channels.

Ever desperate to get as many Spanish channels as poss, I recently brought back to england a 1998 era echostar 9050 Via Digital receiver from spain with an offical out of date Via Digital card with it.

I was hoping that having the offical receiver box would solve all the encryption on board would save me the hassle of getting a cam etc.

However I can't get a Digital+ signal on 19.2 and would appreciate a steer in the right direction:

Am I right in thinking:

1/ Since Via Digital and Digital Plus merged you can get digital+ on Hispasat in nagravision OR astra 19.2 with Mediaguard 2?

2/ Is my old via digital box any use if I get a feed to hispasat?

3/ Or would I be better off using a cam and "appropriate card"?

4/ if I use the old via digital box, can I get it modded to work again?

thanks

Palostick

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Does the official box allow you to go into the menus on the screen with the old card in the slot?

You may have to change the default frequency of the Spanish transponder to allow a search on Astra.

If you can do this you should be able to search and show only the FTA channels (about 10 from Astra, and 25 from Hispasat if you go for another dish)

Without a valid working card though you will see only the same as the Echostar.

palostick

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply channel hopper.

Does the official box allow you to go into the menus on the screen with the old card in the slot?

Yes.

You may have to change the default frequency of the Spanish transponder to allow a search on Astra.

Any idea how I do this? there's a setup menu with

"frequencia" ?which number should I put for astra?
"vel. simbolo de satellite (default is 27500) which number for astra?

If you can do this you should be able to search and show only the FTA channels (about 10 from Astra, and 25 from Hispasat if you go for another dish)

There's only one menu that's disabled and inaccessible is the one to configure the lnb.

Without a valid working card though you will see only the same as the Echostar.[/QUOTE]

If I can get this up and running I'd be keen to investigate other alternative cards...

thanks,

palostick