Viaccess for english channels??

Joe_bloggs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
HumaxF1C1, Trisat dish, Astra 19.2, Eutelsat 16, Hotbird.
My Location
United Kingdom
Hi, I am thinking of buying a Viaccess CAM, i am watching hotbird digital and thinking of upgrading to Astra also, if i go for the Viaccess option i would like to subscribe to Absat, or Canal Digitaal on Astra, do these providers broadcast some channels in english?? what are the best packages?? or will providers be changing to alternative encryption soon.... Thanks for any advice.

JOE

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Absat does not carry English language programming to my knowledge, unless you count the universal language of Grunt on XXL.
Canal Digitaal is the Dutch package and DOES carry a lot of English language stuff but is not in Viaccess. Most of the package is simulcrypted in Irdeto & Mediaguard, with the newer channels such as C+16/9, CineCinemas, Discovery, NGC & Animal Planet encrypted in Mediaguard only.

If you make your decisions based on whether providers will swap systems soon, then you will never buy anything. Providers do all they can to beat the pirates, and this includes migrating to new variants of the encryption system (or even to new systems altogether).
Canal+ is planning a change of all Mediaguard ("seca") cards starting 1Q02. Absat & TPS are rumoured to be planning migration to a new version of Viaccess. Many Irdeto providers have moved to Irdeto v2. And so on. If everyone in your town suddenly obtained a key to your front door, you'd change the lock wouldn't you?

Of course, if you are an official subscriber, you may reasonably expect that you will be provided with new cards when/if systems change.

2old

M

Mike16

Joe,

There are several providers of English language channels available. The best choice depends on what of programs you want to watch and how much you want to spend.

If you are just going to add a second LNB to get Astra then go with a Aston Seca (Mediaguard) CAM. This plus Hotbird will get you many PPV movie channels with English on the second audio track (Taquilla, Palco, and some movies on Kiosk). There are some good Dutch channels with seires such as Home Improvment, Friends, etc. If you have kids, there are several channels for them with most shows available in English.

I have found that the Seca CAM gives me access to most of the English langauge channels on Astra and Hotbird. The only other English langauge channels of interest that are on Astra/Hotbird exclussively in Irdeo encryption are Greek based. My Irdeto CAM is gathering dust.

I would not recommend the Viaccess encrypted channels on Hotbird for English. Most Viaccess channels are in French and they do not broadcast the English audio track. However, if you have a motor, then there are some excellent English langauge channels on Sirus at 5E in Viaccess. We have found these to have the best series.

To sum it up, if you just have Astra and Hotbird, then the Seca/Mediaguard is the best choice. Only if you have a motor, then add a Viaccess CAM.

This is just my opinion, but I hope it helps.

Mike

Joe_bloggs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
United Kingdom
Thanks Mike, you mentioned Nova on hotbird.. are you still able to watch this greek package because my hobby card no longer works?

JOE

M

Mike16

Joe,

I haven't used my Irdeto CAM for over a month. The last time I tried, Nova was working (w/ Sep keys). Have you tried updating the keys?

Mike

Joe_bloggs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
United Kingdom
Tried Updating keys etc.. no luck, that's why im looking for alternative choice i think from the info you provided it seems SECA/MEDIAGUARD is my best option.

Thanks
JOE

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
As has actually been mentioned many times on this board recently, the Greek provider Nova/Hellas moved recently from Irdeto v1 (hacked) to to Irdeto v2 (not yet hacked). No new CAM s required, just a new official subscriber card.

2old