Viasat / Canal + Sweden, Which receiver? Help!

Rabbit

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS x5
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
System1..
Channel Master 1.8m with CM Feedhorn AZ/EL Mount. MTI AP82-TW 0.6dB LNB. Thomson Sky HD Decoder
System2..
Internet TV... Sweden's Telia Broadband service.
My Location
Hässleholm,South Sweden
I currently own a Nokia 9802 which is a Viaccess Embedded receiver (and Viasat approved). Attached I use a CI module with my Canal Digital card. I think it has now finally died on me after 6 years of use. To be honest, I am glad its dead... it was a nightmare changing channels!
Now I am after a new one and I have a few questions, that hopefully a few Swedes or Sat experts can help me with.

1. Do I have to go for a Viasat or Canal+ approved box, or can I go for any? What are the downsides if I do not go for one of the approved ones?

2. I saw and read about one, a Force 536-S which has embedded Conax and Viaccess Systems built in. Does this mean I can simply slot in my cards without a module and all will work ok?

3. Other receivers I have been looking at are Pace DS 230NV, Triax DSI 354 TX, along with the Force 536-S previously mentioned. Can you possibly suggest a good one to purchase, based on fast channel changing between 4 satellites, Thor, Sirius, Astra and Hotbird?

Thank you in advance on this...

digdomdon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Current No Satellite setup
My Location
London
1. Do I have to go for a Viasat or Canal+ approved box, or can I go for any? What are the downsides if I do not go for one of the approved ones?

Sorry, I don't know anything about "approved" sat boxes.

2. I saw and read about one, a Force 536-S which has embedded Conax and Viaccess Systems built in. Does this mean I can simply slot in my cards without a module and all will work ok?

Yes. You only need a CI module (or CAM) if your receiver hardware does not have integrated support for the CA system in question. Buying a receiver with at least one CI slot will give you flexibility to decrypt a wider variety of CA systems that exist now and any new CA systems that may appear in the future.

Can you possibly suggest a good one to purchase, based on fast channel changing between 4 satellites, Thor, Sirius, Astra and Hotbird?

I can't suggest any myself but firstly you should define "fast"? I would say 0.5 seconds is fast but someone else might say 2 seconds is fast. You'll get a wide variety of interpretations of "fast" otherwise!:)

Also when talking about channel changing there are some things to consider.

Channel changing to a non-scrambled service within the current transponder is fastest. Why? No descrambling required. No re-tune is required. Descrambling is completely dependant on your receiver hardware (embedded CA is 'usually' quicker than CI modules) and the receiver software, even the clock speed (Mhz) of your receivers CPU. Also re-tuning time is very dependent on tuner hardware in the receiver and receiver software.

So if you are changing to a scrambled service channel changing takes longer and if you are changing to a service on a different frequency the channel change takes longer. Both of these together will take the longest amount of time.

So a good question to ask about a particular receiver(s) would be

How long does it take to change to a non-scrambled service in the current transponder?

How long does it take to change to a scrambled service on another transponder/satellite? But remember, this will vary depending on the CA system the service uses, if the receiver has the appropriate embedded CA system for that service or a CI module is being used.

Hope that helps...

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
For Canal Digital you can only go for the approved boxes as they will pair the card to their approved boxes one day.

I beleive you can get a approved box by calling Canal Digital for nearly nothing.

I have used and tried the silver Combobox and its pretty nice, its fast zapping and does what you need and have a pretty good tuner inside.

Rabbit

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS x5
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
System1..
Channel Master 1.8m with CM Feedhorn AZ/EL Mount. MTI AP82-TW 0.6dB LNB. Thomson Sky HD Decoder
System2..
Internet TV... Sweden's Telia Broadband service.
My Location
Hässleholm,South Sweden
Likvid said:
For Canal Digital you can only go for the approved boxes as they will pair the card to their approved boxes one day.

I beleive you can get a approved box by calling Canal Digital for nearly nothing.

I have used and tried the silver Combobox and its pretty nice, its fast zapping and does what you need and have a pretty good tuner inside.

Likvid and Digdomdon thanks for your replies.
Just spent a whole part of 2 days trying to research this, and this is what I found out... (and I am still at it!)

Viasat encryption system is Videoguard (similar to Skys I think), which does in fact mean you need to use one of Viasats approved boxes. Nightmare because I cant find a good one. Yes, I can upgrade my Nokia to a more later model like the 9902, but is it worth it? Especially as many will be wanting a HD box in the near future.
Then you have to use a CI modul and insert the Canal + card (as I currently do now anyway!).
Unfortunately there is no Canal+ box where you can use a CI modul for Viasats Videoguard system.

So basically, Scandinavia are sha**ed with two childish waring Companies, ripping off customers. If we want only one box, we are forced to use say one of 3 approved viasat boxes, with a CI modul for the Canal+(conax) card!
OR, we can use two boxes... both of which have to be approved! Although not exactly sure if this applys to the canal+ one though!

What a circus! :mad:

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Rabbit said:
If we want only one box, we are forced to use say one of 3 approved viasat boxes, with a CI modul for the Canal+(conax) card!

What a circus! :mad:

Yes but Canal Digital does not allow a CI module to be used.

Now you have to use one of their approved boxes or you won't get subscription from them, they will say no no :-Nooo

And right now Sky Italia is changing their NDS cards to combat cardsharing so it will be useless for that purpose.

So if you are a good customer you either choose Viasat or CD or use two approved boxes and two remote controls.

But for now you can use both Viasat and CD cards in a Dreambox, but that doesn't guarantee anything for the future when CD starts pairing their cards/boxes and still to even get a CD subrscription or Viasat you still need one of their approved boxes to even get the card from them

If you call Viasat or CD today and say you want to subscribe they will ask you if you have a box or not, if you have a box they will ask you what box and what serialnumber it has.

If the box is not a box on their approved list the customer service will tell you they can't accept you as a customer.

However they will offer you one of the approved boxes, mostly for nearly nothing, like 500:- or something.....

After you receive the box and card you can take the card and just put it in your Dreambox or any other receiver with a Conax Module, however their new cards doesn't seem to work so good in the Conax modules anymore so it's a win or lose situation.

kitschcamp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TiVo & Sky/Astra 2D on a 1.8m Andrews dish. Canal Digital on 80cm fixed dish. DM800HD and DM500 on both dishes.
My Location
Eslöv, Skåne, Sweden
Likvid said:
However they will offer you one of the approved boxes, mostly for nearly nothing, like 500:- or something.....
They are currently offering the Viasat+ box for 495 SEK direct from Viasat.

If you shop around and go to somewhere like _http://www.netonnet.se/ you'll even get a free tv, portable DVD player or a digital camera thrown in FOC. If you go for the standard box it's the same price but you get a free flat screen tv.

satmonkey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kathrein 90cm Dish;
Stab HH-90;
Humax PR-HD1000;
Diablo Light CAM;
CAS 3+ Programmer;
DVBViewer / vPlug;
My Location
Switzerland
Anyone know of a source of original Viasat subscriptions that delivers to residents outside of Sweden?

kitschcamp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TiVo & Sky/Astra 2D on a 1.8m Andrews dish. Canal Digital on 80cm fixed dish. DM800HD and DM500 on both dishes.
My Location
Eslöv, Skåne, Sweden
It's probably going to be a bit more difficult for people to arrange - in Sweden you can't do anything without your "personal id number".