Viasat

jimmyf

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
THOMPSON decoder 1.1m dish
My Location
sthelens
Hi Guys, can anyone help with this one lol !I have a Thompson Reciever purchased in Sweden and have activated the smartcard, I have set up an 85cm dish and have directed it to sirius 5 degrees east and can get other channels but it's not recieving the Viasat preprogrammed stations, am I right in believing if I get any signal from Sirius that I should be able to recieve the preprogrammed Viasat channels or is it dependadant on dish size or should I adjust the dish slighlty, its the first time Ive tried it so I,m a bit lost to what to do next?

Cheers

R

Rd100

bigger dish i would say most need a 1.2m in south wales

jimmyf said:
Hi Guys, can anyone help with this one lol !I have a Thompson Reciever purchased in Sweden and have activated the smartcard, I have set up an 85cm dish and have directed it to sirius 5 degrees east and can get other channels but it's not recieving the Viasat preprogrammed stations, am I right in believing if I get any signal from Sirius that I should be able to recieve the preprogrammed Viasat channels or is it dependadant on dish size or should I adjust the dish slighlty, its the first time Ive tried it so I,m a bit lost to what to do next?

Cheers

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Rd is correct - you need a bigger dish. Have a look here:

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/viasat.html

anything on the Nordic beam of Sirius 2 or 3 will be well out of reach on an 85cm dish in Manchester. Especially anything on S3 which is very difficult

I can *just* get some of the Nordic beam channels here in the Scottish Borders in fine weather on my 80cm dishes IF they are very accurately aligned, the moon is in Aries and Capricorn is in conjunction with Pluto. :D

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
check flysat as most of the viasat channels are on the nordic beam, i can get some channels on nordic beam with 90cm dish but signal is weaker

surprised no one told you that the dish would be too small for 5east, did you buy it from a sat shop ?

1.2m i'm sure would be fine in manchester, depends though if you can get away with that size dish

jimmyf

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
sthelens
No it wasn't a sat shop as I dont't know any locally I asked my local satellite installer and he said 85cm was enough , I can get a couple of channels but won't lock on to the Viasat perprogrammed channels, planning permission required for anything over 95 cm but I may take a flyer, do you know if the 1.8 base mounted Dish at Maplin would do the Job or could you reccomend a supplier who is reasonable, I have looked on the net at Brymars dish in leeds at £150 but it's a 150cm I need to be sure I have the right gear before I buy

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
yes the dish would work but is very large and not built to high quality standards

have you phoned brymars in leeds as i'm sure they would help

andrews 1.2m, gibertini 1.2m or triax 1.1m would be a good bet on improving things as the surface area between 80cm dish to 120cm is quite a lot

where will the dish be going ?

jimmyf

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
sthelens
wod said:
yes the dish would work but is very large and not built to high quality standards

have you phoned brymars in leeds as i'm sure they would help

andrews 1.2m, gibertini 1.2m or triax 1.1m would be a good bet on improving things as the surface area between 80cm dish to 120cm is quite a lot

where will the dish be going ?
Thanks for the response, did speak to Brymar recommended min 150cm dish, wouldnt fit in my car,need a transit, spoken to a local supplier who says It will need to be a base mounted 165cm, I can situ at the bottom of the Garden ,not ideal but I,m commited to a 2yr contract and as my Mrs is Swedish it's her choice of have or not have, £530ish quote for supply and fit of the dish and 3" base and pole(excludes the 3ft concrete base that I will have to make prior) do you think this is a fair price for the Job? £178 dish with Lnb £30 cable. 3"pole and base at £80 £250 labour (also excludes planning permission at £165 which I'm not sure at this stage will be required) although it's definately cheaper than moving to the east coast!

Cheekykid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wave Frontier T90
Dreambox 7020S-Gemini 4.10
8 lnb's
My Location
London
jimmyf said:
Thanks for the response, did speak to Brymar recommended min 150cm dish, wouldnt fit in my car,need a transit, spoken to a local supplier who says It will need to be a base mounted 165cm, I can situ at the bottom of the Garden ,not ideal but I,m commited to a 2yr contract and as my Mrs is Swedish it's her choice of have or not have, £530ish quote for supply and fit of the dish and 3" base and pole(excludes the 3ft concrete base that I will have to make prior) do you think this is a fair price for the Job? £178 dish with Lnb £30 cable. 3"pole and base at £80 £250 labour (also excludes planning permission at £165 which I'm not sure at this stage will be required) although it's definately cheaper than moving to the east coast!

You have to pay for planning permission? That is ridiculous. As long as you have good relations with your neighbours you will be fine;)

110 Triax here with a very sensitive LNB and 500S. Some of the nordic beam open with 83% signal but others vertical will just open and freeze. You need a gibertini 125x135 in order to get this beam.
Also becareful what LNB you buy.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Cheekykid said:
You have to pay for planning permission? That is ridiculous. As long as you have good relations with your neighbours you will be fine;)

No it is not ridiculous and you will not be fine you do have to pay the planning office and also sweet talk the neighbours if they can see it from within the boundaries of their property.

When I moved mine up onto the single storey extension in 1993 it cost £60.00 for the planning permission, I do not know what it costs now but for sure it will be at least the same if not more.

Cheekykid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wave Frontier T90
8 lnb's
My Location
London
I've got 2 dishes 1.10m each. I haven't got council at my door as yet. Am sorry but am not willing to accept laws such as this easily thus I would rather risk going around them. It's my garden)(-red and I don't block anyones views. I ain't paying nothing.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Cheekykid said:
I've got 2 dishes 1.10m each. I haven't got council at my door as yet. Am sorry but am not willing to accept laws such as this easily thus I would rather risk going around them. It's my garden)(-red and I don't block anyones views. I ain't paying nothing.
Of course at ground level there is less chance of problem as I said mine is sat on a single storey extension on the flat roof O-no

Cheekykid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wave Frontier T90
8 lnb's
My Location
London
I tried the white sharp 0.3db BS1R6EL100W and the MTI 0.2db AP8-T2NRC. The mti seems to be the best lnb on the market for now.

Between the 2 MTI comes on top with 2-3% difference while the sharp is still a lot better than most lnb's on the market.

As for sirius it is untrue that a 1m dish can pick up all frequencies. In particular the frequency of Viasat Sport 1 is very difficult for 24/7 reception. At times the signal will drop completely, other times it will go up to 76% which is borderline for 500s tuner. It appears that "probably" a 1.40cm dish is required. All the other frequencies including most on the nordic beam come down easily.That is to say you have a quality lnb and good allingment.