Videoguard CAMs

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S + motorised 80cm dish, Amstrad DRX550 Digibox + fixed dish
My Location
pj::
I saw this on another forum where someone (presumably in the know) is talking about different versions of the Digibox:
"... the original PCB (A2/A3) used the ST20TP2 microprocessor, which itself is a dedicated processor for the reception of DVB MPEG-2, and they also used a dedicated conditional access chip call "ICAM" to decode Videoguard ... subsequent revisions (A4-A7) used a chip which integrated these functions in the ST20TP3"

What is interesting is that the writer says that early versions of the Digibox had a separate chip (integrated circuit) to do the Videoguard decoding. I had thought that this function had always been fully integrated into the ST Microelectronics decoder chip. I don't know which brand of Digibox has this separate chip (it must have been one of the first models on the market) but I am going to have a look at my old secondhand Amstrad DRX100's.

If this is true, it proves that it is easy to build a separate Videoguard decoder. Secondly it might be feasible for someone with enough technical knowledge to recover the "ICAM" chip and use it to build their own Videoguard CAM (which could then be used in any CI receiver). Thirdly it might not be so hot for the security of Videoguard to have boxes knocking around with an old, possibly less secure chip (especially if it is in the form of a programmable logic device rather than a custom chip).

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I had a look in some old Amstrad DRX100s. The really old ones have the ST20TP2 channel decoder chip and a socketed chip marked "BSkyB". The newer ones have the ST20TP3 chip which has the Videoguard access module integrated (according to the ST Microelectronics website) and no chip marked "BSkyB".

This seems to confirm what the Sky insider said. The BSkyB chip must be the Videoguard descrambler. Curiously it is just a MACH215, a type of standard programmable logic chip made by AMD. (Although Lattice Logic has since taken over this part of AMD's business).

The other thing I noticed was a socketed chip from Integrated Silicon Solutions Inc which seems to be some sort of secure EEPROM memory. I wonder if this contains the serial number of the Digibox?

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Someone who knows a lot more than me :+ says on uk.tech.tv.sky that the Videoguard ICAM descrambling chip in the early Digiboxes is in fact the Fujitsu MB87F2011. I checked in my Amstrad DRX100 and sure enough there is a big square chip with this code on. Apologies if I mislead anyone.

D

da_judge

I just think maybe now we need 2 get our grubby hands on a full data sheet... unless you got 1... i be very interested... been to st web site... they not giving much away.. lol... anyway i let u know if i come up with anything and u like wise)(-)(

shnigganoo

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
as far east as you can go
fairly new to this but why is there not a commercially available VG cam :confused

I was led to believe a while ago that the owners of VG would have to make the cams available to buy like Seca, Viaccess, Irdeto etc. It would certainly help the likes of me who use "standard" sat equipment. I have a spare slot just waiting for such a device :D

Cheers,

Shnigg

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I think that they don't make one precisely because there are people like you, and me who have a little slot waiting for it. :) LOL

D

da_judge

True.... I think it rude though... lol... it a good starting point though... im getting an old box 2 play with... only 4 educational purposes though... lets sit and wait

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I saw elsewhere that the standalone ICAM chips can also be found in early Pace 2200's. You can buy a service manuals for the Pace Digiboxes complete with all the circuit diagrams. This should make it easier to study the signal flow.

On my Amstrad DRX100s, it's only the really old ones which have the ST20TP2 processor and ICAM chip. These ones also have the old version of the BSkyB logo on the front panel so that might help you identify a suitable box if you're buying at a car boot sale. Still the only way to be really sure is to look inside.