Virus disguises itself as MSN Messenger beta 27/12/05

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
A virus masquerading as a new beta version of Microsoft's MSN Messenger has begun circulating.

The virus, which F-Secure calls Virkel.F, comes as a file called BETA8WEBINSTALL.EXE that can be downloaded from a Web site. Running the program installs not a new MSN Messenger beta, but rather a virus that sends download links to a computer user's MSN Messenger buddies. The virus falsely labels the link as "MSN Messenger 8 Working BETA."

"It also connects your machine to a botnet server," F-Secure warned, meaning that a person's computer can be controlled remotely to attack other machines or send spam.

And Microsoft's instant-messenger infrastructure is the most popular conduit for attack, IMlogic said in an October study.

Source: CNet

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, I thought MSN was a virus. :D

Trouble is that it'll be kids who spread this, as they cannot resist downloading things. :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I saw something similar the end of last week at work - it reckoned it was a new Yahoo Messenger client and I would be able to chat to some russian tart....

My Satellite Setup
fta lifetime ultra dn
2700 ird rom 10 dn
platium sub dn
My Location
usa
rolfw said:
LOL, I thought MSN was a virus. :D

Trouble is that it'll be kids who spread this, as they cannot resist downloading things. :)
aint that the truth......

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK South
Analoguesat said:
it reckoned it was a new Yahoo Messenger client and I would be able to chat to some russian tart....
(Some dont need to download anything)