Virus disguises itself as MSN Messenger beta 27/12/05

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
A virus masquerading as a new beta version of Microsoft's MSN Messenger has begun circulating.

The virus, which F-Secure calls Virkel.F, comes as a file called BETA8WEBINSTALL.EXE that can be downloaded from a Web site. Running the program installs not a new MSN Messenger beta, but rather a virus that sends download links to a computer user's MSN Messenger buddies. The virus falsely labels the link as "MSN Messenger 8 Working BETA."

"It also connects your machine to a botnet server," F-Secure warned, meaning that a person's computer can be controlled remotely to attack other machines or send spam.

And Microsoft's instant-messenger infrastructure is the most popular conduit for attack, IMlogic said in an October study.

Source: CNet

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, I thought MSN was a virus. :D

Trouble is that it'll be kids who spread this, as they cannot resist downloading things. :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I saw something similar the end of last week at work - it reckoned it was a new Yahoo Messenger client and I would be able to chat to some russian tart....

13echo4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fta lifetime ultra dn
2700 ird rom 10 dn
platium sub dn
My Location
usa
rolfw said:
LOL, I thought MSN was a virus. :D

Trouble is that it'll be kids who spread this, as they cannot resist downloading things. :)
aint that the truth......

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Analoguesat said:
it reckoned it was a new Yahoo Messenger client and I would be able to chat to some russian tart....

(Some dont need to download anything)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Oh good - I'll brush up on my Russian then :D