Virus Warning

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
I am deeply suspicious of so-called virus warnings and refuse to pass them on, so I post this notice with some trepidation. However, in this case, I feel I must draw your attention to a new variation.

For the second time in less than a week. I've been hit by a trojan or worm named q216903.exe. AVG 6.0 intercepted it on both occasions, so I'm confident that my pc is unharmed and, more importantly, that it's not mailed itself to anyone else in my address book.

Worryingly, message plays on the lack of knowledge and insecurity of the reipient to achieve its objective. The virus is attached to a message which purports to come from Microsoft Corporation Security Center , which asks the recipient to 'Run attached file q216309.exe'. There's a lot of gobbledeygook about the vunerability of e-mail software in Microsoft applications and plausible reassurances about how q216309.exe will protect your system.

Anyone falling for this double-bluff will, of course, lay open his hard disk to the sender of the virus. It just goes to show the importance of having a good, reliable, up-to-date anti-virus program on your pc and the danger of taking hoaxes at face value.

If you receive ANY unsolicited 'virus warnings' in your e-mail, it is strongly recommended that, before you take action, you check the claim with Microsoft or one of the reputable virus databases on the Symantec (Norton) or McAfee web sites.

Wolsty

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Dear All

Its not a very pleasant animal

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.gibe@mm.html

Always have an up to date virus checker in place before receiving e-mails or surfing

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
As if to prove the point, CH, I've been hit again - between posting the warning and opening your response.

Wolsty