Virus Warning

nobbly

Reaction score
My Location
Not in UK
I am a regular user of the Internet, E-mail and file sharing programs like Direct Connect but I have never used any anti virus software until now. The last few weeks I’ve been having problems with “. exe” files that have stopped working. After chatting with a friend we came to the conclusion that it might be a virus. I decided to download Mcafee anti virus software, which you can buy online, with a 1-year update, for about £20, which I think, is quite reasonable. Anyway after installing it and running the virus scan I was very shocked to find that I had 260 affected files. Yes not 26, 260 BIG SHOCK.
I thought I was safe, as I never open attached e-mail files from people I don’t know.
How wrong I was…..
So the moral of this story is if you haven’t got a good updated virus soft. I think it’s time you get one. I think you will be surprised

nobbly :+

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 10-Mar-02 AT 08:26 PM (GMT)]Shame on you Nobbly :)

I don't go anywhere without my Virus scan, PCCillin on my desktop and McAfee on my Laptop, I also have ZoneAlarm pro firewall on both. Got to make it as difficult as you can.

You can get a top quality FREE auto-updating virus scan from http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.htm you will need to say that you live in canada in the details, but who cares.

You can get an online scan FREE at http://www.antivirus.com Housecall.

Remember that having a virus on your computer that spreads be E-mail is one of the best ways to pee off your friends.

Rolf

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
There are several free anti-virus programs available on the net. I currently use the AntiVir Personal Edition from www.free-av.com There is no reason to suspect that the free kit is in any way inferior to the packages that Dixons and Staples sell - usually they're cut-down versions of multi-user commercial software which are licensed only for home use. I just did a Google search using the keywords 'antivirus free' and found two other promising sites on the first two pages.

The great thing about free software is that you can afford to experiment with it and change it as often as you like to ensure optimum cover.

I agree that the Zone Alarm firewall is also worth having if you don't like to have anyone scanning your hard disk without your knowledge. It's at www.zonelabs.com As with antivirus software, you'll find plenty of free stuff on the net if you search using the keywords 'firewall free'.

wolsty

Burnt Chips

Overclocker Supreme & General Mad B*st*rd
Reaction score
My Location
sunny manchester (i wish )
RE zone alarm 3: great prog but its also weird especially on this board. you cannot access (the whos on line/new post line)on the main page.Ive got to turn off to do this. has any of you solved this.
DAVE.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes Dave, You have to disable any cookie control and not control any adverts apart from pop ups. Mobile code control must be off also.

Most of these are controlled by IE6 anyway. The pop up control works very well though.

Rolf

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
Just another thought, and forgive me if I'm preaching to the converted. From time to time you will receive messages from well-meaning but far from clued-up friends warning you of a virus which will destroy your hard disk or wreak similar havoc on your pc. These hoaxes, for hoaxes they surely are, are immediately identifiable: sometimes by name but, more usually by the description. For example the 'virus' in question has no known fix, details have just been released by Microsoft/Norton/McAfee/etc. Before panic sets in and you pee off your more knowledgeable friends by forwarding the 'warning', it's always worth checking the authenticity of the claim by looking on the McAfee http://www.mcafee.com/anti-virus/default.asp or Norton http://www.symantec.com sites to see if the hoax is listed. In my experience it always is.

The pathetic wretches who originate the hoax are presumably just as sad as, but less technically competent than, the authors of viruses.

wolsty

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Good point Wolsty, the Windows 98 news group often has posts from unfortunates who, in response to an E-mail from a friend or out of the blue, have deleted essential files which were purported to be virus installed files. The most common one was the windows long names handling file.

Rolf

Burnt Chips

Overclocker Supreme & General Mad B*st*rd
Reaction score
My Location
sunny manchester (i wish )
cheers Big R. Got it sorted now. MUCHAS GRASSYARSE, DAVE.