vision v9 912 multiswitch - no power

bureaucrazy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
planning future installation of satellite TV
My Location
east of england
I just got a second hand vision v9 912 multiswitch for my multi receiver distribution project _www.vision-products.co.uk/assets/products/datasheets/V9-916.pdf. I understand that it can be powered by the connected receivers. I understand that the power input to the multiswitch is used to also power the lnbs when connected.

As a simple test to see if it is working, I connected my Triax SR110 receiver input to one of the multiswitch outputs but the power light on the multiswitch does not light up. Is the multiswitch dead? Or do I need to do something else to power this multiswitch?

The Triax SR110 input produces 18v 300ma supply (usually for lnb power) and the multiswitch says it consumes upto 160ma from connected receiver.

Is there a downloadable instruction manual online? There was no PSU supplied with the multiswitch.

Thanks for your advice...

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Are you getting any voltages on any of the LNB input ports?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
The switch is line powered not receiver powered.

Sent using Tapatalk

bureaucrazy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
planning future installation of satellite TV
My Location
east of england
I am a novice, this is my first satellite system so I do not understand all the terminology. Please can someone explain what is meant by "line powered" and what is a typical application/system this is used in.

I thought it meant that there was no need for a separate power supply and that it would be powered by other equipment it was connected to. As the receivers have 18v out on their connection to the multiswitch (designed for powering LN:cool: and there is no other device that provides power in my system, I (incorrectly) assumed that the multiswitch and LNBs could be powered by the connected receivers.

There is an F connector at the side of the multiswitch separate from the rest marked 18v aux. I plugged the receiver into that and the power light came on. I also measured 18v on each of the LNB connectors. I cannot power the thing from the receiver as I need to use it as a receiver. As it is not receiver powered, can anyone recommend a suitable way to power the device. Can I just use any old 18v PSU (with sufficient power) and make up a lead with an F connector? Or do I need one specially designed for this purpose (noise immunity, etc)?

Note that there is no mains socket in my loft, only a lighting circuit hence my desire not to have to plug anything in.

Thanks for your help

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Line powered means that it needs to be fed with power from an external source; either directly into the mains or vias an external power supply. Receiver powered is what you are thinking of.

I don't know the multiswitch you have but is does sound like that is the power in socket. Sometimes it's a phono poscket.

You would have to try the PSU you have in mind to see if it works properly. You are right to be concerned about spurious interference and you also need to be sure that it can supply the current required and that it'll give years of continuous service.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
bureaucrazy said:
There is an F connector at the side of the multiswitch separate from the rest marked 18v aux. I plugged the receiver into that and the power light came on.

No, the receiver doesn't connect to that port.

The V5/V9 range isn't for the novice. It's a professional range of switch. Stick with a standalone mains powered switch, setting up of levels are easier and most probably has a fixed slope correction.

The V9 can be powered locally with the use of a 18v power unit, from a launch amp or line powered from and V5/9 (MP) switch.

The supply you want is an 18v, 2.2A V5-024.

A nonymous

Reaction score
It will also power up and work fine with a 12v Fracarro PSU or a 15v Triax PSU. As long as it has more than 0.5amp it will work

I've had to do this with loads of these switches when we were waiting for Vision to replace the 150 or so Vision PSUs that went down.

Nano

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
nanochickin said:
It will also power up and work fine with a 12v Fracarro PSU or a 15v Triax PSU. As long as it has more than 0.5amp it will work

I've had to do this with loads of these switches when we were waiting for Vision to replace the 150 or so Vision PSUs that went down.

Nano

Philips G2 also powers the Vision V5/V9 range :D

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
nanochickin said:

Nano

Philips G2 also powers the Vision V5/V9 range, as I found out :D

A nonymous

Reaction score
So i'm not the only one that has tried them :D

Fracarro Amp 1000 and also Fracarro amp 8331 work also although thats a bit overkill :-lmao

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
nanochickin said:
Fracarro Amp 1000 and also Fracarro amp 8331 work also although thats a bit overkill :-lmao
Just a bit... lol ;)