Vivacom CAM

Nisatman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon1008se,humax fox sat,sky hd box, comag receivers. 60cm sky dish, 90cm with 9e,13e,19e,28e plus 1.2m with c/ku band.
My Location
Co down n.ireland
I know that Vivacom is an nds cam.. My question is do nds cams have box numbers you can pair a viewing card to? So if I had an nds cam say from Vivacom for which the subscription had expired- would it be possible to pair another litigitimate subscription viewing card with it? I would prefer to use my non standard platform stb to view a paid sub and have only 1 box rather than 2.... Can anyone explain if my logic is flawed? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gibertini

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HDSE SIM 2.10 80CM ORBITAL FIXED@28.2E
My Location
53.6N 2.4W
doubt it very much... ive seen professional n** cam,s for earthstation/headend use but dont know much. OS*** can read certain cards but most hd are not possible. pain in the arse i know as you should be able to use any stb you wish with your paid for legit service imho like back in the analogue days and certain broadcasters on other platforms/encryptions.

Nisatman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon1008se,humax fox sat,sky hd box, comag receivers. 60cm sky dish, 90cm with 9e,13e,19e,28e plus 1.2m with c/ku band.
My Location
Co down n.ireland
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I suspected it wasn't that simple otherwise lots of folk would be doin it ( well a good few sat fanatics) at any rate! [emoji3]. Have never used the os*** system. SWMBO always complains about the number of boxes and cables..... Life would be a little easier if I could have all my sats flowing from 1 box!! Dream on eh?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I believe that NDS has different "flavours" which prevent you using a legitimate NDS CAM for one country's service in a different one.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Pretty sure you can use a Vivacom CAM in any receiver, as long as you have a valid card for it. I don't know if they are paired on a card basis or in general (like the French Viaccess packages) but maybe find out if the broadcaster is willing to re-pair your card to the CAM? Don't see why they wouldn't...

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yes but the key is "valid card". As no CAM for UK Videoguard has ever been released (I believe one only was built as a proof of concept and to comply with some law about availability of CAMs) you can't put a UK card in any Videoguard CAM and expect results. It'll only work with a card for the same service that the two were designed for.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I must have misunderstood the original post. Paul is right in that a CAM designed for a specific broadcaster will (probably) only accept cards for that broadcaster (Vivacom in this case). There are rare exceptions though.

These days a lot of broadcasters are forcing you to use their own (usually, crappy) receivers. No good at all for us enthusiasts. So HUGE kudos to Vivacom for offering a CAM for their services (not sure why other NDS encrypted packages can't offer this). Other examples are the French providers with their CanalSat ready CAMs, some Nagra providers as well as Scandinavian Canal Digital. These are CI+ CAMs so won't work in some older receivers but any recent ones should be fine.

Last edited:

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Now I'm beginning to worry if I've misunderstood the original post!

From Googling around it appears that Vivacom is a Bulgarian TV service. The attraction of this card/CAM combination for many people seems to be that English Premier League is broudcast. So, if that is what you want, then it should work in a suitable receiver.

My interpretation is that the OP was asking about other legitimate NDS cards. If it were about another Vivacom card then this is simple (!) re-pairing but I thought that he (she?) was asking about other NDS cards and, from the location given, the obvious one would be UK/ROI BSkyB cards. In which case it won't work.

Perhaps Nisatman can come back and tell us what's what.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Yeah, it's the Bulgarian package on 45E - very easy to receive in the UK. When some channels were FTA for a few days, I really wasn't impressed with the SD picture quality. HD were still encrypted so don't know what they are like...

Nisatman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Co down n.ireland
Yes to clarify I was being cautious about what I was asking, but for the purposes of this discussion, what I was getting at was : if one had an nds card for vivacom and the subscription expired.... Could you use the otherwise defunct Cam (assuming you don't renew with vivacom) as an means of receiving a Sky (via) a fully paid for subscription card, but through say, your favourite satellite receiver rather than a sky box.?
So my original question in this specific context was do the nds cams have "box" numbers which a card (such as sky) could be paired with, in a legitimate way to enable viewing via a non sky receiver.. Hopefully that clears up the original. Question.

Nisatman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Co down n.ireland
To further illustrate what I am saying. Could you tell sky that you have a new sky box ( in this case a Vivacom NDS cam, assuming you know the box key ( if there is one) for the Vivacom nds cam and ask sky to pair your card with that new box (aka Vivacom nds cam)

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
What you are wanting to do probably won't work. Provider specific CAMs are probably locked to specific CAIDs - that's a provider identifier. Sky uses IDs 0961 and 0963, Viasat uses 093e and 090f and Vivacom will have a different number altogether (09xx).

I have a Viasat NDS card and it simply will not be read in my Sky box. Likewise my Sky card won't work in a Viasat receiver. I suspect the same is true for the CAM.... If, however, you have an option to obtain a Vivacom CAM for very cheap (free!) then you can always try it. Sky are unlikely pair it to your card because they won't have any record of the number on your CAM.

Sorry....

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yes to clarify I was being cautious about what I was asking, but for the purposes of this discussion, what I was getting at was : if one had an nds card for vivacom and the subscription expired.... Could you use the otherwise defunct Cam (assuming you don't renew with vivacom) as an means of receiving a Sky (via) a fully paid for subscription card, but through say, your favourite satellite receiver rather than a sky box.?
So my original question in this specific context was do the nds cams have "box" numbers which a card (such as sky) could be paired with, in a legitimate way to enable viewing via a non sky receiver.. Hopefully that clears up the original. Question.

No - the NDS has different "flavours" & a cam for one provider doesnt work with a card for a different service. (As far as we know - feel free to try it and prove us wrong!) :D

Nisatman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Co down n.ireland
Always seeking to push the boundaries, otherwise known as reducing the number of cables and boxes!!! Many thanks for applying the collective mind.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
While I'd normally say "more is more", having a satellite receiver for each package is just silly. Imagine having a different TV for each channel....