Vodafone in mobile broadband fast lane

Satdude

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
N/A
My Location
Ireland
Vodafone in mobile broadband fast lane

Vodafone is upgrading its mobile broadband services to offer speeds that are 10 times faster than standard 3G.

From 3 September subscribers will be able to download content up to 14 times faster and upload at around 10 times the speed via HSUPA (high-speed uplink packet access) technology.

The upgraded service will be rolled out during the autumn, starting with central London and major airports - including the London airports, Birmingham and Manchester - before being pushed out to the rest of the country.

Laptop users will be able to subscribe to the service for £49 per month on an 18 month contract which can be purchased online or in-store.

Vodafone will offer a 'plug and go' USB modem as well as two datacards, known as ExpressCards, one of which is a 'plug and go' datacard and another said to be more suitable for corporate customers.

Each device will have two antennas to boost connectivity in weaker signal areas.

Download speeds of up to 7.2Mbps will eventually be possible but initially speeds will range between 1.7Mbps and 5.5Mbps, allowing users to download a 5MB file at a minimum of seven seconds, 14 times faster than standard 3G.

Upload speeds will also be boosted to 1.44Mbps, 10 times faster than 3G currently.

Vodafone cut its 3G mobile broadband prices at the beginning of July, with the monthly tariff falling from £45 to £25.

Regards Satdude.

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
£49 per month.. do they think we where born yesterday??

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Yeshi said:
£49 per month.. do they think we where born yesterday??
They are probably hoping that :eek: or maybe they are assuming that everybody gets paid the level of pay increases commensurate with such a vast company like them....... forgetting of course that the average punter thinks himself lucky if he gets a cost of living increase.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Don't think that product is aimed at the average man on the street, more so the commercial market, those who live on their laptops and PDAs.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
rolfw said:
Don't think that product is aimed at the average man on the street, more so the commercial market, those who live on their laptops and PDAs.

Isn't that you Rolf :eek: You use a PDA all the time don't you?:)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, I have one, but use it as a phone 99% of the time. :) One of those things I thought I "needed", but found out that I only rarely did. :)