W2 16E dish setup ?

chapops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm, Metronic Usals Motor, Comag SL 100 HD; Sky+
My Location
East Anglia
Hi

I am very new to dish motors but after some dodgy ladder acrobatics managed to set up so I can get several sats and hundreds of FTA channels from 1W to 39E with USALS. I had some trouble with W2 16E at first and finally sent USALS to it and then moved the dish/lnb manually exploring every angle until I got the best signal (72% on TV7) possible. So now I get about 25 FTA chanells ok after a blind scan from 20 or so TPs at between 60 and 70%

However what I wanted to get was TV Bulgaria on 11011 V 27500 and that transponder is not coming up during the scan nor when entered manually.

I wonder what do to improve this situation. I can't really fit a bigger dish or move it any better than it is now - would a 'more sensitive' receiver work ?

So please give me some ideas and do you guys get this channel on W2 and how

Thanks

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Hi, welcome.

Discard any problems with the channel, I have check this morning, it works fine.

From your location, should have no problems picking up the wide beam / transponder it's easily receivable.

Are you happy the motor is set up correctly and the dish is spot on 16e.
:)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, fine here on my 85cm dish as well and it is slightly off beam at the moment.

chapops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Anglia
well I had originally set the motor using 1W as I am on 0W, I found USALS works pretty well and after sending the dish to a sat and going in the DiseqC I found that I could get no improvement going E and W from the usals position. Also when I went to 39E with usals I could pick the signal immediately - so this made me think that my motor is set ok. I then went to 16E and did a scan - picking about 15 FTA channels - less the one I wanted. I then assumed my setup is not perfect and proceeded to send the dish to 16 E with Usals, undo the bolts and start moving e/w until I got peak signal on one of the TVR romanian channels, then I fixed that and started moving the dish up/down - this was very difficult as the signal would die with the slightest movement and it was within about 1deg range where I got signal at all. Finally I moved the lnb in the 2 directions until it could not get any better. So with that - overall the signal I was getting on TVR, TV7 and GUYSEN channels improved from 50 to 72%. But, when I did another scan I did not get tv bulgaria. I tried moving the dish with disec and the peak on the good channels is where it goes by usals anyway - so this makes me think that I can't get any better by moving the dish alone.

what I don't understand is why I get some transponders (Estate TV) perfectly but others not at all - is this normal ?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Check settings on receiver ie freq, s/rate

Make all adjustments on 1W rather than 16e. If set up motor correctly on Thor you should sweep the arc and pick up 16e no problem.

Consider dish quality & performance.

Also sweep the satellites to see if you are missing any other channels.

chapops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Anglia
satelliteman said:
Make all adjustments on 1W rather than 16e. If set up motor correctly on Thor you should sweep the arc and pick up 16e no problem

I don't get it - if I do what you say by the time I get to 16 E all potential errors I may have (pole not vertical etc) will be included in the tatget position, therefore I thought it best to set mechanically on W2 and eliminate these errors - what do you think ?

Also I have no ability to adjust the inclination with the motor and other satelites being much more powerful work on more angles than W2 I find so I thought I would get better adjustment if I do it on the weak sat that I want to target ?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
What dish you got - make/ type ? Some 80cm dishes perform very poorly on weaker satellites.

You still may not be set up properly and may need meter alignment on Thor.

I'll let others comment.

Good luck

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Some dishes do not behave well on 16° as their acceptance angle is too wide, this means that they simultaneously pull in signals from 13° and 19° East, making some transponders near impossible to receive.

chapops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Anglia
don't khow to describe the dish other than that it is a Metronic 80cm dish (without holes) from maplins, lnb came with the dish

what is 'meter alignment' ? I have a simple satelite finder meter and it is maxed out and not much help as it is not tuned and must be picking the signal from adjacent satelites - with it I cannot find where W2 is as it gets the strong signals form either 19 or 13 as I move about

as to this 'acceptance angle' thing I haven't a clue - how can I find out what mine is ?

also what about this FEC thing ? I can't find anywhere to enter it (as I could on my sky receiver) - should I have entered it before scanning ?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
FEC is normally set to Auto. Only info the receiver requires is frequency, polarisation and s/rate.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
You may be able to make a very small improvement by changing the LNB, depending on what the noise figure of the original one was. But in order for this to work you would at least need to get a sniff of the transponder, i.e enough signal quality for a lock, but not enough for a picture.

I found the 90cm Fortec star dish that they sell picks up weaker transponders quite well, it is barely above 80cm accross.

Robbo:)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I've had problems with the Fortecstar 90cm Robbo, particularly with 16E, as it pulls in either 19 or 13 E at the same time, so knocks out certain transponders.

I dread turning up to align somone's dish on 16E, only to find it's one of those, even woirse if it is one on a motor, as it takes ages and doesn't give good results.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
rolfw said:
I've had problems with the Fortecstar 90cm Robbo, particularly with 16E, as it pulls in either 19 or 13 E at the same time, so knocks out certain transponders.

I dread turning up to align somone's dish on 16E, only to find it's one of those, even woirse if it is one on a motor, as it takes ages and doesn't give good results.

Well, I had mine working on 16E and 26E alright, but not with the Fortec LNB,I used the Inverto,but obviously you see a lot more installations than I do, so would be a better judge.:)

chapops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Anglia
crikey this will drive me nuts, I never thought there would be 'bad dishes' ; and this business where you get some TPs but not others is really a black art it seems.

in the meantime without me doing a thing on the dish a new scan got more channels from 11147 (7 dni at 51%) and some of those on 11303 (but 30% and crap picture) Still I get zilch on 11011 V 27500, which is only why I went into this red eyed adventure in the first place.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
chapops said:
crikey this will drive me nuts, I never thought there would be 'bad dishes' ; and this business where you get some TPs but not others is really a black art it seems.

in the meantime without me doing a thing on the dish a new scan got more channels from 11147 (7 dni at 51%) and some of those on 11303 (but 30% and crap picture) Still I get zilch on 11011 V 27500, which is only why I went into this red eyed adventure in the first place.

That's satellites for you:)
There are also very good dishes, but for beamwidth it comes down mainly to dish size.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
rolfw said:

I dread turning up to align someone's dish on 16E, only to find it's one of those, even woirse if it is one on a motor, as it takes ages and doesn't give good results.

Checked on lyngsat and with reference to above wonder if it's possible that something like 11009 V Tp36 from Astra 1 could be causing problems on 11011V 16e for this chap. It's a PAL signal mind :)

Rolf ?

chapops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Anglia
so could it be that with a larger dish i would get more interference from astra and things would get worse ? I noticed a strange thing - if I move the LNB closer to the dish (it can move by about an inch) I get much stronger signal on the analog meter but worse signal on the W2 quality scale - could this mean that interferenc e is my prblem ?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Larger the dish = Narrower the Beamwidth

Basically the bigger dish the better. On say a quality 90cm dish the Beamwidth is approx 2°.

If you are aligned on 16e the dish would effectively see 17e and 15e, thus not receiving cross talk between 19 & 13e.

Some dishes and I say some, perform very badly much like a small dish would with a wide angle Beamwidth.

Hope this hepls.

chapops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Anglia
ok I got a Fortec Star 90 cm dish and with an old LNB I had - it works !

thanks everybody for advice . .

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
chapops said:
ok I got a Fortec Sar 90 cm dish and with an old LNB I had - it works !

thanks everybody for advice . .

Great news!:)

So I wasn't imagining things then:-rofl2

Did you swap it with the Metronic or did you have to buy a new one?