Want Broadband? Do yourselves a favour.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 03-Mar-02 AT 08:47 AM (GMT)]With the price of broadband ADSL coming down, many more people will be considering taking the plunge. But what of those who's exchanges are not yet enabled?

BT will not expand the network unless they feel there is demand. If you want ADSL, but it is not in your local exchange, get on to BT Openworld and pre-register, it costs you nothing, if they perceive that there is sufficient demand they will expand to meet it.

If your area is too far away from the local exchange for ADSL or RADSL, there are other schemes available, companies such as Tele2 are offering schemes whereby if there are 200 possible subscribers in an area, they will consider installing a local wireless system. They will also provide the material to canvass support.

So don't join the "I'll just wait and see what happens" gang, as that's probably all you'll ever do, wait and see.

Rolf

Burnt Chips

Overclocker Supreme & General Mad B*st*rd
Reaction score
My Location
sunny manchester (i wish )
Ive got a 17 year old dog thats faster than my connection to Bt.
right opposite my front door is a digital exchange,35metres.I enquired
3 months ago about adsn line was informed not 1 in my area.(some arsehole sat at a desk decided that because the exchange was in tameside not manchester tuff.I feel like runnin my own line in.
If not remmedied soon (i was informed to complain and threaten to go to ntl i might just do.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Might be worthwhile applying on the website with one of the others like pipex, they may look a little harder into it for you.

I don't know what I'd do without my broadband.

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Sit longer in front of your monitor in your Luberjacks outfit !

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
About two years ago, one of the telecoms companies (I think it was BT but am not sure, so it could have been Cable and Wireless) dug up most of Cornwall's roads to install fibre optic cables from the points where submarine cables come ashore in the far west. The traffic chaos was unbelievable. On one 5 mile stretch of road which I travelled twice daily, there were often three sets of traffic lights at a time, continuously, for a period of six months. At one time, having dug up and reinstated a particularly bad stretch, the company came back a few weeks later and repeated the exercise because they'd done it wrong the first time. Even now, two years on, we still have the occasional jam caused by men in manholes fiddling with the connections. From where I sit in my little office I can see the marks in the road where the cables are laid. Goonhilly is less than ten miles away. But can I get broadband? Can I bloody hell! BT couldn't give a shit about us poor buggers out in the sticks who use ICT for work and play. Enter my postcode on the bit of the ntl site which proclaims the benefits of broadband and 'they're sorry, but it's not yet available in your area'. I particularly like the 'yet' qualification. As things stand, if I 'phone my daughter in America, the signal goes along copper cables up to London and then comes back, past my front door, on fibre optics for transmission across the pond by submarine cable or satellite link. You think I'm bitter? Too bloody right.

Anything I can do to shake the complacency of the telecoms providers I will gladly do, so I'll register. But I don't expect to be on broadband this side of 2010.

Grumpily.

wolsty

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Dear Wolsty

Sounds like you will require a VSAT system to get you up and running

(that or cut through the fence around Goonhilly and strap a bit of Coax to the 9m antenna at the West side of the site)