Want Hotbird and Astra Channels

newbie123

Reaction score
Hi

I am am very new with this stuff so go easy please.

I want to view some foreign channels so i have decided to buy a receiver and dish. This is where you come in, i need to know the best receiver in my budget bearing in mind the foillowing:

1] I have £300 to spend [on receiver]

2] the channels i want to watch are on hotbird 2/3/4 and astra 1h

3] i want to watch pay channels, and will pay the subscription costs if need be.

4] i do not want a motorised dish.

5] i would like the reicever to have cgi slots [is that right spelling!]

6] i would like to buy just one dish and have 2 lnbs lined up to both satellites this is essential [don't laugh i'm new!]

7] i can only have a 1metre dish is this ok?

8] i will not be installing system myself but will be buying it and getting a pro to do it [too clumsy!] please tell me everything i need to buy so that the guy can just come round install it and leave. thanks

I am sorry about the length of this post, please answer i would be grateful

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Welcome to the forum, you don't say where you are, but I'm assuming the UK.

A 70cm will do the job you require in the south of the UK, I've set up quite a few dishes to receive 13E, 19.2E and 28.2E, using mostly the Raven Gemini dish with Eastern satellites offset arm (they aslo do a 90cm version).

With a budget of £300 for a receiver you should be able to buy a nice one with a couple of CI slots and possibly embedded CAM.

Which specific channels do you want to watch?

newbie123

Reaction score
hi sorry, im in london

i prefer to watch french, german and italian channels. maybe some mature content and definitely a channel called afn sports [american forces network]. thanks for your help.

by the way rolfw, if you want to come and put my system up in my garden i will pay you, i mean it when i said i was lazy!

im really sorry, being new at this i am not used to answering spcific questions! i would actually like to watch the canal plus subscription channels, and some german and austrian subscription channels

Posts merged into one. Try to post all info togther please.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You can forget AFN - receivers for it are only available to AMericans posted overseas (eg forces personnel) and it uses a secure form of encryption called Power Vu