WARNING!!! Novarg is spreading fast

N

net1

Antivirus firms on Monday warned of a new mass-mailing computer virus that has gained a foothold in a large number of PCs by masquerading as an e-mail error, CNET reports.

The virus, dubbed Novarg, arrives in an in-box with one of several different random subject lines such as "Mail Delivery System," "Test" or "Mail Transaction Failed." The body of the e-mail contains an executable file and a statement such as: "The message contains Unicode characters and has been sent as a binary attachment."

"It's huge," said Vincent Gullotto, vice president of security software maker Network Associates' antivirus emergency response team. "We have it as a high-risk outbreak."

In one hour, Network Associates itself received 19,500 e-mails bearing the virus from 3,400 unique Internet addresses, Gullotto said. One large telecommunications company had already shut down its e-mail gateway to stop the virus.

The virus is also spreading through p2p-networks.

Had such emails today so be careful.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hmm, Strangely enough, had a few of these late last week, but deleted them. Still amazing the number of people who will still open an attachment that they are not expecting.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
Yes about a year ago I picked up a virus....after formatting the hard drive and starting over, I downloaded Mailwasher which was free....now I am to able view all new mails easily and what I suspect or dont want it deletes and bounces them back...

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, Mailwasher Pro is a program worth paying for, saves me a lot of time as well. :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
If anybody thinks that they have the virus, here is the Symantec clean up tool, ran it myself to check that it did no harm. :)

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Norvag also goes under the name MyDoom or Mimail-R.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I've had at least 10 instances coming through today, it's on the one mail account that i cannot use with Mailwasher Pro, as I cannot bounce the mail. Fortunately the Grisoft Antivirus has picked them all up. The subject line was similar in all "Great Chieftain o' the Puddin-Race!Hello" so watch out for it.

N

net1

Novarg declared the worst virus ever

It only crawled onto the Internet on Monday and is still growing, but at least one security firm is ready to crown the Novarg virus as the worst ever, The Globe and Mail reports.

Finnish security software company F-Secure made the coronation late Wednesday, declaring Novarg -- also known as MyDoom -- the fastest-spreading worm ever and "the worst e-mail worm incident in virus history".

F-Secure estimated that the worm was accounting for 20 per cent to 30 per cent of worldwide e-mail traffic Wednesday, putting it well ahead of previous nasties, such as the SoBig.F worm.

Other security companies had evaluations almost as dire. MessageLabs, which screens e-mail, said it had intercepted more than 3.4 million copies of Novarg, which infected one 1 of every 12 messages at its peak. That compares with a total of 33 million infections and a peak rate of 1 in 17 for SoBig.F. Novarg had already climbed to No. 5 on MessageLabs' list of the all-time most active viruses.

An offshoot of the Novarg worm surfaced Wednesday but did not appear to be spreading nearly as quickly as the original.