Watching sky in oslo

sabba222000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
My Location
UK
Hi there, newbie here.
I am moving to Oslo from the UK and wish to have the Sky package when out there. I am seeking advice regarding the best way to go about it but issues like dish size installation are confusing me. Also it would be great to find a local installer.

My plan is this:-
I currently am a Sky customer, was going to upgrade anyway to Sky+, so free, then when I move tell Sky of change of address to friends house and take gear to Oslo. Is this feasible as a plan and would I need to buy another dish? I mainly want it for Sky Sports but would want the BBC channels as well, I have family in Germany who do this with no reception problems.

Also if anyone knows a good installer in Oslo, contact details would be great as I could then speak to someone who has hopefully installed this stuff before, and success rates as well as reception etc etc.

Hope I'm not asking too much and that some of you guys can help!
Thanks,

Cupart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
According to Lyngsat Oslo is outside at least Astra 2D's footprint, but I know of people as far as Stockholm who can get signals from this bird. Also, Oslo is situated in a kind-of-valley (not very narrow) so I'd wait until I actually would know where I'd stay before getting it all set up (lived in Oslo for 5 years)!

sabba222000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
My Location
UK
Cupart said:
According to Lyngsat Oslo is outside at least Astra 2D's footprint, but I know of people as far as Stockholm who can get signals from this bird. Also, Oslo is situated in a kind-of-valley (not very narrow) so I'd wait until I actually would know where I'd stay before getting it all set up (lived in Oslo for 5 years)!

thx for this info, may hold out as renting at first, plan to buy when I know the place a little. Will probably cancel Sky and work out whether I can get it, guess will cost more this way but I do hope I will be able to get it, really want it for English commentary football so have some time I guess. If anyone lives there and has Sky would really appreciate some feedback.
Cheers

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
A well set up 1.5m should give you some of the 2D channel for part of the day

_http://www.astra2d.com/norway.htm

ALthough with the lack of additional info from that area gawd knows what size is needed for 24/7 reception.

saint

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
gothenburg
you should get SKY quite easily on an 80 - 90 cm dish.

BBC is another matter all together. probably 1,5m or larger. sorry.

jozmaz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
satellite dish, box and telly
My Location
Norway
I am about to move my dish to point at the astra 2a (28.2 E) from just outside of Oslo. I just wondered where I need to point it though as the 28.2 E applies from UK (prime meridian ) does it not?? Can someone please give me a clue as to where I should point it from here? The elevation should be the same as it was for Sirius and Thor shouldn't it?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

jozmaz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Norway
WOW ! thanks for the tip! that's great :-)

jozmaz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Norway
OK - unfortunately I'm a mac user and this is a PC prog. Have tried googling SMW caculator and get lots of info about Single Minded Women and Super Mario World. Can you tell me what SMW stands for so I might find a mac prog that can help me :-)

sabba222000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
My Location
UK
saint said:
you should get SKY quite easily on an 80 - 90 cm dish.

BBC is another matter all together. probably 1,5m or larger. sorry.

OK there go my braincells, hour after hour of 'when animals attack 10' etc, only kidding, I'm renting first till I get a grip of the geography and then will buy so guess a landlord would not be too happy with that!
1.5m scares me really, in truth I really want it for football in English commentary although I did read somewhere that Norweigan cable has the option to switch between UK feed and Norweigan commentary, dunno if this is true?
I will miss the Beeb though I must concede, when you say SKY, is that all Sky channels? Don't really understand as I have Sky now and it come with all sorts of stuff but if I'm reduced to Sky's own channels the I would probably not bother too be honest. E4, more4; variety of news channels and the Beeb pretty much dominates my viewing apart from Sport(which dominates that even more!)

Thanks for everyones feedback!

Cupart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
You do get BBC Prime on cable in Oslo which is not half bad as it compromises the best from 1 & 2.

Don't forget that you are not moving to Germany or France where all their programming is sync'd into local talk. In the Nordics all programs are shown in their original language with subtitles so you will be fine :-)

jozmaz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Norway
Cupart said:
You do get BBC Prime on cable in Oslo which is not half bad as it compromises the best from 1 & 2.

HA HA HA! That's a joke. BBC Prime was the worst channel I've ever seen - it didn't "compromise" the best of 1&2 it merely showed endless repeats of Dalziel & Pascoe, Inspector Linley and Jonathan Creek and never a 'part 2' of a 2 parter. It has now been dumped and replaced with 2 new 'BBC' channels which as also appauling - check out the comments page on their website, there isn't a single positive comment.

Telia

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo PVR 1GB HDD
Channel Master 1.2m with Jaeger SMR1224.
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
BBC channels in Europea are really the worst of them all, can't really recommend them.