watching TV on PC-help needed by newbie!

rob1974

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ati all in wonder PC
sky dish
Hi folks. I run a ATI All in wonder 9800 video card on my PC. Separately, I have a satellite dish and box - as the aerial reception where I live is terrible.
How do I connect a sky signal to my PC? Do I need another dish, or can I connect another box to the dish? I want to watch different stuff to the main TV.

I realise this is the most basic of basic questions but I'm really stuck. Any help really appreciated, Rob :confused

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Either run an rf feed from a Sky receiver antenna out to your video card, (can only watch what the main box is watching)

or get a satellite pc card and run a feed from the dish direct to your pc card (can watch whatever you want)

PC card only allow fta sky broadcasts, so if you wnat to watch encrypted Sky UK stuff you have to go down the first route

rob1974

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ati all in wonder PC
sky dish
thanks for help...l.
Just a couple of snags though...firstly I definitely want to watch a different channel to what the Mrs. is watching(this is the main reason for wanting it)
and also, I don't actually subscribe to sky - just use dish and box for the crystal clear reception. The reception with aerial is nil around here!

So anyone know how to work round this???

Thanks again, Rob.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Either get 2 Sky boxes, each with separate cable runs from the dish , or go down the PC card in the computer route.

Either way you will need to change the LNB for a 4 way outlet "quad" type if yours is a standard single outlet. Dont even think about splitting the lnb cable - do it properly and get a replacement lnb for 20 quid .

rob1974

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ati all in wonder PC
sky dish
OK, I took your advice. I've bought a quad LNB made by 'Raven' . However the picture is not QUITE as good as with the old single LNB. Is this normal. Before it was perfect, now there's a slight 'grain' (stripes) on the picture. Dish has been adjusted and adjusted!

kungpo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 8082ci, Matrix Reloaded, Aston Cam 1.5, Black ICE. Metronic DisEQC Motor, 80cm Dish, Monoblock LNB.
Dynamite USB, Intel P4 3.0Ghz, Intel Cel 3.06Ghz
My Location
Slough
That's a bit odd; with Digital TV, it (typically) either works or ist doesn't. Poor signal might give a blocky picture, but usually if the signal is not good enough, then you will get nothing. I trust you have tried putting the original LNB back to see what effect that has?