Watching world cup in Turkey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Don't have at moment
My Location
Bodrum Turkey
I live in Bodrum Turkey about 500km south of Izmir. We want to be able to watch the world cup. I have absolutely no idea how to do this. Can anybody help me and please bear with me as I don't know anything about the technology. All I understand is you need a dish but I dont know anything else. Plus we will need the football in English. Can anyone help? Thank you.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum Turkish Delight

To be honest it is difficult for most members to advise you as most members are based in the UK or Europe and as a consequence you will be able to see a different section of the Clarke belt to us, thus we cannot know what you are able to receive in Turkey. We do have some Turkish members and I am sure they will be able to help you. Are you wanting to watch the matches in any particular language?

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Don't have at moment
My Location
Bodrum Turkey
Thanks for replying. Well there are a few nationalities living here in Bodrum so English is good. Somebody told me that there was an Algerian package that would pick up all the football channels but how true that is I don't know and exactly what they pick up I don't know. Also there are a few places here that have Sky but they are big hotels and their dishes are 3 metres big at least. So thats too expensive for us. Any ideas?

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
i would think ART would still be your best option. They have special World Cup channels, and as far as i know, which English audio commentary option.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Don't have at moment
My Location
Bodrum Turkey
Could you tell me what ART is and where I can find out more. Thanks

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
It is on Hotbird 13 degrees East on the Wide beam click here for a full list

Artist 2004

Anatolia correspondent
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GoldMaster 7400 CIM 2MB with Kaon board 12.03.a5. Technomate 1000, Technomate 5200 USB.
Two 80cm offset dishes.
My Location
West coast, Turkey
I live near Izmir, and it's possible to watch English Premier league matches as well as a host of other internationals without subscribing, and am hoping I'll get world cup coverage. There are a number of channels on satellites Hotbird, Turksat and Hispasat. They generally don't have English commentary, and they tend to change their encryption system from time to time making them unreliable. I'll be watching the Arsenal-Barcelona match tonight.

Zorba, who sometimes posts here, and is based in Cyprus once said he can pick up the ART package with English commentaries on Nilesat. I haven't tried pointing my dish there yet.

The only package that is readily obtainable everywhere here is Digiturk. They are bound to have good coverage, but in Turkish.

If you learn how to get hold of the ART package please let me know!

If you are in Izmir at all the centre where all the the electronics / satellites shops / knowledge is is an area near Konak called Çankaya.

Graham7

Reaction score
My Location
Some were on the internet
At the moment I am in Izmir and you can all so get TPS and one football channel TPS football but there are more on Hotbird. Hope this helps a bit.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Don't have at moment
My Location
Bodrum Turkey
Thanks for your help everybody. I am in the UK moment and have spoken to someone about the ART package so we are going to try that. They said we will need a card and set top box and then a 1 metre dish plus they mentioned HOTBIRD. Also that we would need someone to fix this for us who knew what they are doing. Maybe we can get someone from Izmir to do this??? Or is it easy to do once you have everything. Can't you just tell I am a girl!!

Artist 2004

Anatolia correspondent
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GoldMaster 7400 CIM 2MB with Kaon board 12.03.a5. Technomate 1000, Technomate 5200 USB.
Two 80cm offset dishes.
My Location
West coast, Turkey
Note that if you get Digiturk you will pay a subscription but all the equipment and installation is free, so I'm told. If you go the independent route it will cost you about 300 YTL for a two dish system including receiver, installed. You don't need two dishes, but there are lots of package deals and you save next to nothing to go for a single dish. You'll point one at Hotbird and the other at Turksat if you want the Turkiosh channels. On top of that you'll need to subscribe (possibly) to the ART package.

Most shop keepers know what you need to buy to receive Hotbird channels and most of them can load your receiver with software to allow you to receive some subscription channels without subscribing. Before you buy learn from this and other forums whether ART can be opened in this way. If it can you won't normally need a receiver with card slots. If it can't you'll need to buy a subscription and use a card, but I don't know where from, Cankaya is your best bet - go into shops and ask. If you or a friend can understand Turkish there are loads of satellite forums that may be able to answer your questions better. If you want to know any send me a message. Local receivers that are well supported on internet include Goldmaster, Sunny and Next.

You also need to check whether ART can really be received here with a 1m dish - not all channels on hotbird can be received here.

sapkan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
botech 9500
My Location
Bourgas, Bulgaria
Hi, I am also in the same boat. I am based in Bulgaria and I want to get the world cup in English. I was also told that it would be on ART which is some arab package but it requires subsription. Someone suggested that MBC another arab channel (runs free on Hotbird) might be showing it but I havent been able to find any evidence of that. ART cards are hard to get here and I just cant believe that no one would be broadcasting it fta in English. Its not possible to get BBC out here either.

Artist 2004

Anatolia correspondent
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Two 80cm offset dishes.
My Location
West coast, Turkey
Turkish Delight said:
Thanks for your help everybody. I am in the UK moment and have spoken to someone about the ART package so we are going to try that. They said we will need a card and set top box and then a 1 metre dish plus they mentioned HOTBIRD. Also that we would need someone to fix this for us who knew what they are doing. Maybe we can get someone from Izmir to do this??? Or is it easy to do once you have everything. Can't you just tell I am a girl!!

Just to confirm that I can receive ART Worldcup Channels 1 & 2 loud and clear on my 80cm offset dish on hotbird. But I can't unscramble it. So the next steps are:

1. Learn where to buy an ART card
2. Learn whether English commentary will be transmitted. There is some hope here as my receiver tells me that current broadcasts have a choice of two languages..

sapkan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
botech 9500
My Location
Bourgas, Bulgaria
Artist 2004 said:
Just to confirm that I can receive ART Worldcup Channels 1 & 2 loud and clear on my 80cm offset dish on hotbird. But I can't unscramble it. So the next steps are:

1. Learn where to buy an ART card
2. Learn whether English commentary will be transmitted. There is some hope here as my receiver tells me that current broadcasts have a choice of two languages..

keep us posted

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You can buy ART cards from at least one of the banner advertisers at the top of our forum, they are not difficult to get hold of, the more important question is what dish size is required to receive it from your location.

If you are buying a dish, you are probably best to buy it locally, as the prices are probably going to be better, an installer may even do a package deal for you. Receivers can be bought again from one of our banner advertisers, have a look in the Receiver software section for what is popular and well supported, but units like the Kaon have a big international following. :)

There are of course other ways to receive the football, but they involve a little research and certainly some input from yourself, as you need to update the receivers periodically using a computer and serial cable.