Water in LNB

metheny

Reaction score
Hi folks, sorry if this is a bit basic , but whilst repairing my system i noticed water come out of the LNB ( not sure where from exactly just a puddle after a while). On inspection the case had a good 1-2mm gap in places so i was wondering is the LNB waterproof inside or do i risk a short circuit using LNB again? Any help greatly appreciated, cheers people

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
The case should be waterproof the insides are not.

If you can dry it out slowly you can seal the seams with water proof selant and try that. If the insides have become corroded then you will have to buy a new LNB.

I have dried and sealed them in the past and they still work.

You might have been lucky and the water didn't contaminate the electronics.

The LNB will not be powered until connected to the receiver so when reconnecting connect the LNB then the cable to the Receiver before you switch it back on. You won't risk a shock if you re-connect in this order.

metheny

Reaction score
gameboy said:
The case should be waterproof the insides are not.

If you can dry it out slowly you can seal the seams with water proof selant and try that. If the insides have become corroded then you will have to buy a new LNB.

I have dried and sealed them in the past and they still work.

You might have been lucky and the water didn't contaminate the electronics.

The LNB will not be powered until connected to the receiver so when reconnecting connect the LNB then the cable to the Receiver before you switch it back on. You won't risk a shock if you re-connect in this order.
thks for replying , greatly appreciated, at least if i cant repair LNB i wont risk damaging receiver cheers gameboy

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Many LNB's have a cosmetic plastic case (also used to create the 40mm mounting) around the outside of the sealed metal enclosure which houses the LNB itself. Maybe the water was just sitting inside the plastic?

P.S. Just another point, if you have water running down the inside of your coax, then you could really be in trouble, as it could actualy get inside your receiver!

metheny

Reaction score
BGonaSTICK said:
Many LNB's have a cosmetic plastic case (also used to create the 40mm mounting) around the outside of the sealed metal enclosure which houses the LNB itself. Maybe the water was just sitting inside the plastic?

P.S. Just another point, if you have water running down the inside of your coax, then you could really be in trouble, as it could actualy get inside your receiver!
Thks for replying , unfortunately i damaged case trying to look inside , so ill guess ill get new lnb , at least there not to expensive. How can u tell if there is water in coax, short of cutting apart? now i am worried

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Check each end of the cable for verdigrease damage if damaged the core may turn green. If the water was entering through the LNB case then you should be OK.

Sometimes when you disconnect the cable at the receiver water drops are apparent. If this is the case replace the cable also. A new LNB doesn't cost that much and they have improved over time but the price remains low.

If you have to replace the cable it's also quite cheap. You can join the end of one cable to the next and pull it through which is great if it travels under floors like mine.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
metheny said:
Thks for replying , unfortunately i damaged case trying to look inside , so ill guess ill get new lnb , at least there not to expensive. How can u tell if there is water in coax, short of cutting apart? now i am worried

High resistance check with an ohmmeter. Disconnect both ends. Should be no reading. Water in the cable will give low reading. Don't confuse with characteristic impedance of cable (75 ohms, doesn't register on a simple ohmmeter).

Llew