Ways your dish can get out of adjustment and fix it too!

K

kalamar

You can see the many adjustments that must be correct for a motorized dish to track properly in this picture.:confused
---------------------------------------------------------
Find top satellite (top center of arc)
first then satellite at lowest arc position then program satellites
in the middle between these two then program your way down to
the lowest satellite at the other end of the arc. Always adjust
north-south axis before making elevation/declination adjustments.
Always adjust elevation before making any declination adjustments.
To determine whether to make elevation or declination adjustment,
program as many satellites as possible into satellite receiver
then use this chart to analytically see which adjustment is appropriate.:)

(The best manner to understand these diagrams is to understand that the satellite arc makes a half circle and that the tracking movement of mount of dish makes another half circle and when these two half circles are aligned then dish is properly tracked.);)

If at any time a satellite signal quality can be improved by manually lifting or lowering the dish then your adjustments are not complete. A perfectly tracked C-band arc can appear to be 'all over the place' when you go to program the Ku satellites - do not be shocked. So repeat fine tuning steps on the Ku arc but stay away from further north/south adjustments in Ku fine tuning unless you are really convinced it will be beneficial or you can really get 'mucked up'!! Be sure, on Ku, that you are not chasing weak or half transponder channels and that your dish size relative to site location relative to transmitted footprint is conducive for high quality reception from the questionable weak signal, i.e. check the footprint of that transponder to see if it is being transmitted to your region.o-O

Ku signal strength can vary greatly from transponder to transponder within a satellite - especially on hybrid C/Ku satellites. On Ku, national news feeds are usually strong throughout the coverage region; regional feeds may be on a spot beam; local news feeds may be uplinked weakly and dependent on a very large dish at the home station to bring in a quality picture; private educational classes are often half transponder transmissions and depend on a very large dish at the receive site to bring in a quality picture. For dedicated Ku satellites the energy level of the transponders is more even and your major problems will be one of spot beams - you may be under a strong regional coverage yet be marginal in a spot coverage.:eek:

wurzel

Reaction score
My Location
south west uk
Hi M8,
that sure is one very informative post, i learnt a lot i did not know from reading it. its a must for anyone with multi sat dish. many thanks. wurzel.