Weird Scart/Video output problem?

theboss4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-
My Location
uk
HI

I have a Dreambox 500s with gemini image and camd3.

I have a philips multi scart powered adapter and until now I had no problem with anything i plugged into it.

Kiss DVD Player/Technomate 1000D/Goodmans Digital Terrestrial Box, all these devces are set to RBG out and work fine with my multi adapter.

When i plugged my new Dreambox into the adapteer, it seemed fine, but when i connect the video out on the dreambox to another device like my pc tv card comp in, the scart output goes all dark, why is this? I thought the scart and the video are both out sockets, but why does the scart go dark and blurry? Any ideas? I understand that this might not make alot of sense, but its driving me made.

I have connected the scart and the video out in the same way on the devices listed above but with no problems.

Hope someone can help.

theboss4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-
My Location
uk
I have done some further tests, without the multi adapter.

No matter what i connect the dreambox to, the scart output always goes dark when i connect the video out.

Is there a way of tricking the dreambox into thinking the scart is not connected, maybe by removing one of the pins in the scart?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
total guess here but maybe the signal is too weak to feed the scart and the video out at the same time? What happens when you disconnect the other lead

theboss4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-
My Location
uk
thanks for the reply, but dont think its that, as my technmate does not have this problem, when i connect in the same way. If i remove the scart, the video out is still fine.

Can someone connect both their scart out and video out to something to see if this happens to them? Does the scart go dark?

Just established that both outputs work fine if i connect to scart 1 in my tv, this is RGB. PRoblem only accurs if its connected to the multi adapter or scart 2 on my tele (non RG:cool:. Tried both in RGB mode and CVBS in settings on Dreambox

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
as my technmate does not have this problem
Do you work in IT? "works on my machine..";)

OK, I connected a video lead to the video-out and then to my TV (with the scart still connected). Both were viewable (scart and composite) but when I disconnected the composite the picture viewed via the scart (set to cvbs) did get a bit brighter.

theboss4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-
My Location
uk
Ah, so its not just me then, the scart does go dark when video out is connected, very weird. I'm surprised noone else has every mentionned this before. It's like its reducing signal strength when both are connected.

Wonder if there is a way of removing some unrequired pins in the scart lead to trick it into thinking the scart is not connected?

Thanks for your response 'mhku'

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I don't use composite because the quality is poor. I think there is a finite signal strength and it is split between the 2 outputs, removing the scart lead would be the only solution.

Good Luck,

Mark

theboss4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-
My Location
uk
Thats just bad! I have never heard of such a thing. All devices i have ever had have worked with scart and video out.

I have to say, i think dreamboxes are c**p, they well annoy me, think i'll flog mine on ebay. Good only technomate, much better, well, until darkman stops his patches.

Things that annoy me, include:
- Volume on receiver is far too low
- Scart is dark when using video out as well
- Generally slow
- Does not display, or cannot find anywhere, to display the channel frequency
- Signal bar appears to be between %70-%90 all the time, even when not pointing at a satellite, making it hard to fine tune
- Motor movement is very very slow

theboss4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-
My Location
uk
still no luck with this, dark scart all the way, no matter what pins i remove, it dont work, oh well. Off to put my Dreambox on ebay!