Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Elsewhere, I mentioned I have just done a full-disc clean install of Crunchbang on SWMBO's Laptop.

As I had also got the original Crunchbang running in Dual Boot with Win 7 on my Netbook and have since added Mint too, I decided I'd get rid of Crunchbang on the Netbook and just leave Win 7 and Mint.

So I removed the Crunchbang Partition from the Disk (sic) Utility in Mint and that was fine until I rebooted and Grub adamantly refusing to acknowledge any Operating System at all.

I discovered on the Interweb thingy some nice USB Bootable Tools which got me up and running in no time.

Emboldened by my apparent genius, I now want to acquire the free space left by the demise of Crunchbang and also to pinch a bit of my Windows Partition.

So I've got a Live GParted USB Stick and am about to attempt the deed.

I may be gone some time!

(If I do bu**er it up, all is Backed Up and I'm happy to do a full-disc clean install of Mint. Although I'd prefer to retain Windows if possible - just in case)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Hmm.

Successfully shrank Windows but extending Mint seemed to produce an error.

Anyway, reboot from Hard Drive and Windows bombs part way through booting, yet Mint is fine >> And the Disc Utility shows the Partitions are now as I wanted.

So at least my Netbook is still running!

If I cannot easily get Windows to Boot (I'll try repairing Grub), then the clean install is on the cards.

I don't need Windows any more, but it's such a wrench getting rid of it!

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
If you want to spend time tinkering with computers, create a Hackintosh :) Been running mine for months now after booting Windows (pun intended). Also with a small-ish SSD drive, everything is lightning fast on my 4 year old PC. You do need an Intel processor though at the minimum (no AMD) else it won't run at all.