West London, Home Counties (Surrey, Middx, and bits of Hampshire/Sussex and Berks)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Can't see that a tree would only affect one narrow IF though.

Staminastan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satellite - none yet, am researching :o) Computer setup - 1x HTPC running media centre; 2 old rubbish laptops and a Mac for editing
My Location
London
I can now yep, thanks, I think Satelliteman fixed me.

Analoguesat said:
You should be able to - the settings on your account look correct.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Aylesbury is a bit far, but I will cover if you are thinking of a motorised system.

edit - just seen the other thread, and I wouldn't go there initially just for a survey

Staminastan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satellite - none yet, am researching :o) Computer setup - 1x HTPC running media centre; 2 old rubbish laptops and a Mac for editing
My Location
London
Fair doos it's a bit of a trek for you I know. Shame though you could have looked at my bike's stuck throttle at the same time ;)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Ah, which bike ?

Staminastan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
A Kwakky Ninja 600. Is OK it's at the garage now (was already booked in). Lonnnng overdue a service and not ridden nearly often enough, just 4000 miles in 3 years! But now she'll live at home with me rather than here in my work's 24hr guarded car park I'll go for a zoom every weekend is the plan... Unless it snows obviously.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Staminastan said:
I'll go for a zoom every weekend is the plan... Unless it snows obviously.

You know you really shouldn't have posted that. ;)

Staminastan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Yep sorry Wales / Scotland / the north, my fault :)

Stellar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None.
My Location
London

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I have been looking, and seen some of the specifications drop down the list of importance.

A fixed dish with multiple LNBs has only one real advantage, the speed at which you can change channels.
All other considerations (complexity, limitations on positions received, efficiency, price, time to install etc) make a motorised system more suitable for the person who wants to watch everything.

Most importantly there is really no upgrade available with a fixed dish should you find it inadequate, and the resale pricing is almost zero once you look at the costs of dismantling and repackaging to post.

If you can advise what channels you absolutely 'must have', and maybe the languages you can live with/understand then I could recommend some kit.
How many televisions do you want this to provide by the way?

Stellar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None.
My Location
London
Seems I cannot PM you.

Anyhow.. so If I have a motorised dish - I can theoretically watch anything I can 'catch'?

My must-haves are:
(1) Quantity! Maximum possible channels - preferably English - but I dont mind other languages. (Kids might learn something!)

(2) TV sitcoms/shows/Movies/Films would be nice. Again, preferably english.

(3) Link to Dubai! Thats where a lot of Asian/Hindi/Urdu (ARY/Geo/Indian films/etc) channels have their broadcast centers based in (along with Singapore) - so I can atleast hook into that part of the world.

Satelliteman suggested: The BIG Bisat would be ideal with around 5°E through to 28°E or the BISAT G4, all from a single dish. Badr-4 26.0°E would cater for some of your programming as would 13°E.

I assume with the motorised dish I would be able to get them all (and more)?

My concerns are:
(1) Speed of channel switching - how many seconds between channel changes? If someone is madly flipping the channels - will it go crazy/break?

(2) Is there a receiver that can store/sort channels by satellite/angle/degrees so I can flip thru the entire feed before the motor kicks in?

(3) Dont the motors get damaged over time - given our rainy/wet climate? How often would I be seeking repairs?

Finally what receiver would you RECOMMEND I get - something that will perform without odd hiccups - and will last me a long time. (How many feeds are in HD nowadays?)

Many thanks.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Stellar said:
Anyhow.. so If I have a motorised dish - I can theoretically watch anything I can 'catch'?

Yes, theoretically - meaning the dish size becomes secondary to the subscriptions you pay for.

Dubai and Arabic in general - really is no problem as there are plenty of channels available with a good 1m system. If it is on a motor system then you could get at least another 500 channels for free, many of those are in English. But a lot of them are really not suitable for family viewing, or interesting to adults.

A dish and motor is really only as good as the build and the installer. Pay a little more than you see on the sites for the best and it should last five years or so without too much problem, as long as it is shielded from footballs and high winds.

Stellar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None.
My Location
London
satelliteman said:
PM's activated.
Many thanks.

Channel Hopper said:
A dish and motor is really only as good as the build and the installer.

Heh, since you're the installer.... thats why I am counting on you to make me a nice build! :)

I have sent you a PM as well.

Regards.

PS. What do you mean by subscriptions? The idea of the dish was to 'avoid' subscriptions in the first place! ie catch FTA channels et al. (I am saying goodbye to Virgin Media once this dish setup is installed.)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Stellar said:
PS. What do you mean by subscriptions? The idea of the dish was to 'avoid' subscriptions in the first place! ie catch FTA channels et al. (I am saying goodbye to Virgin Media once this dish setup is installed.)

Unless I know whaich channels you cannot live without, I can't tell you if you are going to incur fees or not

IAmATeaf

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD78, Inverto Ultra Black Quad, DM800HD Clone.

PC-Q6600, 8Gb RAM, GTX460 vid card, 4Tb HDD, 24" TFT, W7 Pro x64
HP Micro Server, 4Gb RAM, 2Tb HDD running W7 Pro x64 with PS3 Media Server
My Location
UK
CH Would you be able to do an install in NW London? Thinking of something like an 80cm motorised, with a quad LNB with 2 feeds to the lounge and a feed each to 2 bedrooms. The cable runs should be easy as the cable run to the lounge will run past the 2 bedrooms.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
NW London is a large area

Narrow it down

IAmATeaf

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD78, Inverto Ultra Black Quad, DM800HD Clone.

PC-Q6600, 8Gb RAM, GTX460 vid card, 4Tb HDD, 24" TFT, W7 Pro x64
HP Micro Server, 4Gb RAM, 2Tb HDD running W7 Pro x64 with PS3 Media Server
My Location
UK
Channel Hopper said:
NW London is a large area

Narrow it down

Sorry, am in HA7