What can I get with a Dreambox and Sky minidish?

chuffer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 500s yet to buy other kit
My Location
staffordshire
Hello i have just ordered a dreambox 500s, And i have alot of basic questions.. firstly ive got a sky minidish on the side of my house.. what is it possible to pick up with this? people tell me u have to have a subscription to get the decent channels and a smartcard i dont have but am willing to invest.. ive heard that i can use a dragon cam and a card programer to program my own cards how does this work? do i still have to pay a subscription?

kerrywez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7025, Dreambox 500s, Technomate 6900 Super, Foxsat HD Freesat, 90Cm and 1.2 CM
My Location
Co. Kerry, Ireland
Hi mate you want Sly you pay Sly for the privilege or do without it like me and loads of others on here, you will not get anything with a Dreambox or any receiver that you will not get with a stupid Sly box. There are other possibilities such as card sharing, but it involves you having a fully paid up card for some provider to begin with.

Regards Wez

chuffer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
staffordshire
Yeah i thought as much i have never had sly.. and im not going to start paying for a subscription now.. thanks for clearing that up.. so whats the use for the dragon cam then? And what channels can i hope to pick up with the minidish i have? ive been looking at a motorised set up would that be worth investing in?

chuffer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
staffordshire
Im new to this.. Ive just ordered a dreambox 500s.. and ive got an old minidish on the side of my house and i was thinking of using that but i dont think it has been used in a while. and i dont know what i would be able to pick up on it... or investing in a 90cm-1m motorised set up.. i was wondering if this is a good idea and worth spending the money on?.. would i be able to pick up more stas/channels with this?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
You'll be limited to only a small range of satellites if using a minidish. Can't go far wrong with a FR Penta 85cm, an ideal dish for motorising. Lots of info on the forum.

jsimo01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM800 HD - Sky HD Subscription, Technotrend S2-3200 PCI card.
My Location
East Anglia
Dragon CAM will not work with the new sky card, so this is redundant at present. Basically you would have programmed it with the Predator firmware to enable it to read your subscription card.

With the mini-dish you will pick up satellites on 28.2E. Astra 2A/2B/2D and Eurobird I think - basically Sky & Freesat. Lyngsat website will help you find what satellite which providers are using and what channels to expect.

Motorised set-up is really if you are looking to pick up channels on other satellites, again use Lyngsat to find one!

chuffer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
staffordshire
satelliteman said:
You'll be limited to only a small range of satellites if using a minidish. Can't go far wrong with a FR Penta 85cm, an ideal dish for motorising. Lots of info on the forum.

thanks bud ill have a look.