what dish size for bb1 and 2 in rome??

rob_drani

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi Guys,
can someone tells me what dish size I neeed to get only BBc1 and 2 in ROme without including ITV (which is on astra 2d)??cheers

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
rob_drani said:
Hi Guys,
can someone tells me what dish size I neeed to get only BBc1 and 2 in ROme without including ITV (which is on astra 2d)??cheers

They are on Astra 2d also,Rome would require a dish 3.0 to 3.8 metres,
To date there are (apart from 1) of anyone receiving Astra 2d in the Rome Area.

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Hi Rob

we are all in the same boat as regards BBC in Rome I am living in Palombara 40km NW of Rome 1M dish and all i can get is channel 5 no 4 I can only dream of the BBC. As Dave pointed out both ITV and BBC are carried on the Astra 2D have a look at this site for reference http://www.kingofsat.net/en/

rob_drani

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi dbolton,
Thanks 4 your reply.
I would need to clear my mind a bit further about dish size in Rome area.
Firstly, I do remember that until a couple of years ago, I used to hear on this forum, that to view bbc channells in Rome (NOT INCLUDING ITV)I needed only a 1.20 or 1.50 dish. mY QYESTION IS: DID THEY CHANGE THE SYSTEM SINCE??
Secondly, You say that u got a 1m dish and the only british terestrial station you get is Channel 5. How do u get it?? At least I settle 4 that, initially.
WHat orientation I need to set my dish to watch 5, plus is 5 free to air and can I get it using a NOKIA 1200 MEDIAMASTER? Thanks would appreciate shoud you answer these 4 me.
CIAO Rob
dbolton said:
Hi Rob

we are all in the same boat as regards BBC in Rome I am living in Palombara 40km NW of Rome 1M dish and all i can get is channel 5 no 4 I can only dream of the BBC. As Dave pointed out both ITV and BBC are carried on the Astra 2D have a look at this site for reference http://www.kingofsat.net/en/

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
BBC changed the footprint for their beam, which is why you now would need a much much bigger dish as its aimed solely at the UK rather than spread more over northern europe.

The footprint map can be found at:
http://www.ses-astra.com/satellites/footprints.php?sat=15

As you can see as you move futher away the lines get closer together as the signal rate drops and an ever increasing rate.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Channel 5 broadcasts off a different satellite to the beeb & ITV channels. There are 4 satellites co-located at 28E each with different footprints (coverage areas). The BBC use the most restricted coversage bird (2D). They changed about 18 months ago. Channel 5 can use a pan European beam as their signals are encrypted.

As C5 is encrypted, a mediamaster is no good to you - you need a Sky digibox (and a 3.5m dish for the bbc services).

rob_drani

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
SO, if I put say a 1.50 dish. what english channels I can get in the clear with a nokia 1200 mediamaster ? I guess the answre is none but.......QUOTE=Analoguesat]Channel 5 broadcasts off a different satellite to the beeb & ITV channels. There are 4 satellites co-located at 28E each with different footprints (coverage areas). The BBC use the most restricted coversage bird (2D). They changed about 18 months ago. Channel 5 can use a pan European beam as their signals are encrypted.

As C5 is encrypted, a mediamaster is no good to you - you need a Sky digibox (and a 3.5m dish for the bbc services).[/QUOTE]

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Dont give up yet!

Ok go to this link

h**p://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

This shows the satellites each channel broadcasts on. Ignore the 2D stuff, and look at the others in yellow. The birds are listed on the right hand side second column in. Click on the links to see the official footprint. (S1, S2 &NW Europe are on Eurobird1)

Anything in yellow is ok on your mediamaster.

rob_drani

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi
Thanks for your reply a few days ago concerning channel 5 in Rome.
You say that I need a sky digibox for 5, but once I bought a box do I need a Subscription card to watch channel 5?? Plus what dish size I need for channel 5, not considering the bbc and itv channels in the Rome area??
Also IF i BUY a sky digibox in the UK, can I then carry it to Italy and get it connected??
Thanks, would appreciate a reply.
Analoguesat said:
Channel 5 broadcasts off a different satellite to the beeb & ITV channels. There are 4 satellites co-located at 28E each with different footprints (coverage areas). The BBC use the most restricted coversage bird (2D). They changed about 18 months ago. Channel 5 can use a pan European beam as their signals are encrypted.

As C5 is encrypted, a mediamaster is no good to you - you need a Sky digibox (and a 3.5m dish for the bbc services).

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Hi Rob

here is what i did, I bought a digibox off ebay from the UK and bought a sky card (latest one yellow house on it) separately from ebay CH 5 and CH4 are free to view which basically means if you have a subscription to sky and don't renew it you won't receive the channels like sky one etc but you will continue to receive the free to view channels, the card is not dependant on the receiver (for the ftv channels) so you can put the card in any sky digibox (uk eire) and receive them. Be careful buying the card from ebay as there are a lot of scams people selling their cards and then calling sky and saying they lost the card and need a replacment sky then disactivate the first card. As far as a dish in Rome I am using a 1M dish but know that others are receiving CH4 and CH5 with an 80CM dish. Hope this helps.Anyone got any further information to add feel free i am no expert just a sad guy that can't go past buildings without looking up to see what dish it has. By the way where in Rome are you.