What dish?

TB

Reaction score
Does anyone know if an old 60cm $ky dish will pick up either hotbird 13 and/or astra 19 in South East Wales, yesterday in a rush of blood I bought an 2nd hand 1 metre dish, realsising afterwards its just way 2 big, I cant attach it to mucg cuz its quite windy where I live quite exposed, I have a vision of the wind taking it and half my house with it. Cheers people

heiman

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
You should be able to pick up Hotbird, since i have a 60cm dish myself and it works fine.

Regards

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
this whole question of whether particular transmissions are receivable at particular locations using particular dish sizes has been covered in detail several times before, most recently in this same forum just a few weeks ago.
http://www.satellites.co.uk/scripts/webforum/DCForumID7/101.html

Please read that and you'll see there are many factors you need to consider. It's not just as simple as saying Hotbird is or isn't receivable. For one thing, there are different beams of varying strength and footprints being transmitted from the Hotbird cluster...

2old

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have you not thought of putting the 1metre dish on a ground based pole mount TB? Seems a shame to waste a good dish. :)

Rolf

TB

Reaction score
OK so I've been playing about a bit today with my 60 cm dish. Astra 19 picks up no probs, 85% singnal strength and 70% signal quality I think. So I move on to hotbird, barning in mind I have no metre or out. So moving dish round very slowly, m8 shouts out 50% signal stength, rock so I jump down ladder and indeed I put channels on to find huge German woman talking, rock, then she dissapears no signal, doh, as i hadnt tightened bolts in my excitment to get in the house and have a butchers, wind must have blew it a bit as it oftened did, all day. Anyhow by this time I decided to call it a day. So question is as I did brefly get hot bird, not sure exactly how many channels like as 2old mentioned, shall I get back up my ladders tomorrow?
I thought bout putting it on the ground rolf, but theres all shit in the way fencing and coal buncker, where concrete floor is, havnt tried getting a signal there yet, do you think it would work, dish would have to be placed quite near fence, pointing at it like.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi TB,

As long as you are far enough from the fence to get a clear line of sight from the bottom of the dish at around 25/30 degrees of elevation you will be OK. When scanning the horizon, beware that there is also a signal at 16 degrees which is not the one you want.

Rolf

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello TB

You should be OK with your 60cm for most of Hotbird, and if you were to buy another LNB and a bracket, you should be able to set it up to get both E13 and E19.2 and use either a manual or DiSeq switch to change between the two, might cost say £40 or £50 max.

Then when you get into it, you can transfer this onto the big dish, because you will want to use it I can assure you - and porbably get it motorized as well.

The extra LNB and the bracket will still be useful, as 80% of the 'braodcast' stuff is on these two birds, and it will save having to use the motor each time when you aren't DXing.

Thats what happened to me anyway........

Good luck

W Hole