What do u get ur old man for Xmas?

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
This is not joke (many apologies), jus i need some geniune suggestions on what to get for xams for me dad.

i cant afford much, bout £10-20, cos i'm a penny-pinching student!:p

brewby

Reaction score
How old is he, whats he into, does he have a hobby, music likes?
I'm sure a few more details and you'll get loads of tips.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
he's jus got in his 40's (much to his disgust!), is loves golf, lil footie too (supports Liverpool), likes Queen n Meatloaf, tho he has everything they have ever made!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Golfers are easy to buy for, just go to one of the Nevada Bob stores or similar and buy some tees, a towel, ball markers, etc, etc. :)

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Colchester, Essex
yeah, that had crossed my mind, but jus seemed a bit obvious.

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
Salty25 said:
yeah, that had crossed my mind, but jus seemed a bit obvious.
Yes but if that is what he is interested in then it will probably be the most useful gifts to get him. No point in wasting it on some other junk just because you thought it was too easy. Just think how many times in your life you have been brought presents and through WTF am I going to do with this pile of manture. If I'ld only have been bought a new 0.3dB LNB off ebay for £15.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Colchester, Essex
hehe, now y dont we all get new set-ups for Xmas! Yeah, guess ur right, i refuse to buy anyone socks til i have kids, n i aint planning on having any for a while yet!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I could really do with some socks.......

Useful presents with a bit of thought do make it with men reaching middle age
Have you thought of lots of small items to make his life a bit easier?

Things that spring to mind

Cable ties
WD40
Bottle of car shampoo / wax
'Quality' engine oil

Then again does he like Liquorice Allsorts ?

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Salty25 said:
he's jus got in his 40's (much to his disgust!), is loves golf, lil footie too (supports Liverpool), likes Queen n Meatloaf, tho he has everything they have ever made!

If you are an ebayer, I would try to find a nice foto of his favourite band or football team or his dream motorcycle, there are lots of things available in this direction. then get it framed and you got a nice present.

You could of course get a nice picture of your family. get it enlarged and framed. I have for instance once auctioned a set of genuine promotional pictures of some blues artist, and had it framed for my brother in law. And my dad is a sucker for pictures of the kids or family.

Books are another thing, if he likes reading then 20 squid will buy you a lot of books on e bay or amazon used shops.

If you are creative there you will get a nice present without too much money.

I have been busy myself in the last weeks to get some nice stuff from ebay for everyone :)

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Colchester, Essex
eBay is good, tho the choice can be a lil overwhelming. I do love Amazon, they do great service. I agree Hopper, lil things are the way to go.

I think we're all generally in agreement here that we want useful, non-gimmicky things for Xmas. I remember getting a Man U annual for Xmas, I was 10 n even at that age i thought to myself, "yeah, it looks great, but what bloody use is that?!"

As my day reading, you can forget it, he doesnt read anything longer than a teletext match report!

My mum jus asks us what we want, thus disappointment is avoided!

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Salty25 said:
I do love Amazon

Amazon just reduced free delivery to items over £15....

HMV also have just introduced free delivery...

Queen - The DVD collection: Live at Wembley Stadium - 2 disc DVD set 1986

£14.99 here from amazon...

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Lol £14.99 - need to find something for 1p to qualify for free delivery!

I have the same problem – only for a birthday – I need to get my old man something and post it very soon, and I haven't a clue what. O-no

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
How about a voucher for a massage parlour ?

If it was my birthday I'd think that was right up my street

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Channel Hopper said:
How about a voucher for a massage parlour ?
If it was my birthday I'd think that was right up my street

Your street? I always thought you lived in a posh area CH

raggytash

Reaction score
Save yourself the time and effort and put the money in the card, he can use it on something he wants, otherwise socks n slippers its the easy option.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Ah, slippers..........

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Come to think of it not one member of my family has bought me any aftershave or other smelly stuff ever. I assume their logic is that because I have a beard I do not shave but that is not true as anyone with a beard knows and also having a beard doesn't mean we do not want to smell nice! So if your dad's got a beard and you cannot remember ever buying him some get him some go buy him a good quality aftershave.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Colchester, Essex
thought i'd report bk. i ended up getting him a Liverpool - Champions of Europe keyring from the online club shop. Also got the official Ryder Cup 2006 towel from eBay, so all done now!

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
toppervte33h said:
Come to think of it not one member of my family has bought me any aftershave or other smelly stuff ever. I assume their logic is that because I have a beard I do not shave but that is not true as anyone with a beard knows and also having a beard doesn't mean we do not want to smell nice! So if your dad's got a beard and you cannot remember ever buying him some get him some go buy him a good quality aftershave.

lol you crack me up :
Come to think of it not one member of my family has bought me any aftershave or other smelly stuff ever

I once got a nice camembert which was really ripe and smelly, and I did have a beard....

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
Salty25 said:
This is not joke (many apologies), jus i need some geniune suggestions on what to get for xams for me dad.

i cant afford much, bout £10-20, cos i'm a penny-pinching student!:p

Apply for the Aldi newsleter great bargains. Varies every week.

http://uk.aldi.com/newsletters/1712/index.html