What does everybody make of this...

nickbrace

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Plus, Orbit
My Location
Milton Keynes
Hey guys,

I see there is a couple of web companies that are promising tv through an internet connection - is this possible? I know from watching clips on ESPN and others that the clips are not always perfect so is this internet tv some kind of new technology??

See the link below for the company i have been looking at, this is the kind of thing I would dream about so would snap there hands off if it actually does work but would like some intelligent opinions??

tvanywhere.org/0786_1.html"

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
1)Not going to work very well on the average 512kb stream many UK users are stuck with.

2) Big events will be hopelessly overrun - try watching an arianespace launch coverage off their website - the service slows right down as liftoff approaches, or nasa tv when theres a big event on.

nickbrace

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Plus, Orbit
My Location
Milton Keynes
So what stream do you think would be appropriate? Do you not think its realistic then in the UK??

Wouldnt there be rights issues?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Dunno - 2 meg minimum maybe. Im stuck on 512 at home, so never bother investigating these things further.

Of course there are rights issues - unless the company has paid for retransmission rights, they are breaking the law..

I wouldnt waste my money on them, but then again, Im not desperate for Yankee tv which seems to be a major offering from them.

Caveat Emptor. (Dont be surprised if they run off with your money or the service is rubbish.)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Maybe someone should set up a forum for swapping slingbox streams between the UK & USA. ;)

_http://www.slingmedia.com/

They are being launched in the uk in the near future.

nickbrace

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Plus, Orbit
My Location
Milton Keynes
Analoguesat said:
Dunno - 2 meg minimum maybe. Im stuck on 512 at home, so never bother investigating these things further.

Of course there are rights issues - unless the company has paid for retransmission rights, they are breaking the law..

I wouldnt waste my money on them, but then again, Im not desperate for Yankee tv which seems to be a major offering from them.

Caveat Emptor. (Dont be surprised if they run off with your money or the service is rubbish.)

I may be wrong but if you are stuck with 512 at home as I also am - I think you can get internet via satellite now can't you??

Thanks for info so far buddy,

Nick

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yes you can, and its very expensive. The services Ive seen also have low data transfer limits, with horrendously expensive top ups, so useless for streaming telly on!

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
nickbrace said:
See the link below for the company i have been looking at, this is the kind of thing

Most pages are "coming soon!"

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you want to test the idea of streaming TV, try these guys with a 1 month sub. http://www.streamtvnow.tv/board/index.php

In general terms it is not really like watching TV, but can be useful for hard to find programming. Even with 2meg downstream, i have found streaming to be less than satisfactory.

Whatever you do though, read the disclaimer, as you need to be able to view the channel legitimately to be able to watch it via internet stream. ;)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
rolfw said:
In general terms it is not really like watching TV, but can be useful for hard to find programming. Even with 2meg downstream, i have found streaming to be less than satisfactory.

There you go nick - a definitive answer - you need something much faster than 2meg

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Analoguesat said:
There you go nick - a definitive answer - you need something much faster than 2meg

Ahem, not quite true, Nick needs to find exactly how fast his downstream is running, using an online tool. A 2meg with certain ISPs at certain times can very well handle a full stream video, some however are never satisfactory.

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
We got IPTV everywhere here in Sweden and we have the largest explotation of FTTH, Fibre To The Home, in excess of everything from 10 to 100Mbps.

Both Canal Digital and Viasat send their channel packages thru IPTV here, i don't have any figures how sucessfull it has become as we have a large cable-tv penetration here also and DVB-T.

I beleive DVB-S got the smallest marketshare in Sweden, that is pretty funny as we had the largest installs of large motorized systems in the 80's and early 90's close behind Germany.

Anyway, people seems to be happy with IPTV and it's quality, no problems so far, the only caveat is that there isn't much choice out there when it comes to choosing your own receiver, mostly Kreatel, another leading Swedish IPTV STB manufacturer, is the major supplier today both domestic and globally.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Channel Hopper said:
. A 2meg with certain ISPs at certain times can very well handle a full stream video, some however are never satisfactory.

Contention rates seem to be the key to this, the lower the better but they do vary from ISP to ISP. It seems to be the maximum number of users allocated through a specific route.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Aren't Telewest about to offer HD tv via cable.

Not rocket science to ramp up to a fatter pipe- I've had 4MB for a year, soon to be 8MB and you can get 24MB in London...

Prophessor

Folding*home
Reaction score
Website
koizo.sourceforge.net
My Satellite Setup
[ Relook 250S ]
My Location
Madeira
In Portugal Sonaecom is trying to put in place a service that they call 'triple play', this service is comprised of iptv, voip and internet.

They claim to be able to provide 90 tv channels, video-on-demand, fixed telephony and high speed internet adsl2+ over telephone line. For this to work, at least, a 16Mbps connection would be required, so they say. It's still in test phase with no end in sight because of problems with the competition and regulatory authorities.

On the other hand...
Ar Telecom already offers pretty much the same thing right now, but its all wireless. This technology is called TMAX and for now nobody is complaining. If you subscribe to this you get tv, voip, videoconferencing on the tv and a simetrical internet connection, starting at 2Mbps up to 10Mbps. Its still only available around Lisbon and spreading from there onto the major cities.

I found this aproach from Ar Telecom quite funny. I never thought this could be possible.

All this to say that if in Portugal we have this, sooner or later it might be scattered all across europe. It's great business for the telcos everywhere and most of all, good for the customers. Having cable, dsl and wireless in a country such as Portugal is no small feat. Of course one has to keep in mind that all this has just started, but its a good thing. By the end of the year we will have 100% broadband coverage.

Still, all is not fun and games and most people still pay around 35€ for a 2Mbps down 125Kbps up dsl/cable a connection limited to only 40GB national traffic and 2GB international, when their montlhy income is on average only 600€ or so.

Hearing about what the sweeds have over there only makes me depressed. :-crying

Chit Chat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
14 Feet C-Band Mesh Dish and TECHNOSAT CX - Digital Satellite Receiver.
My Location
Bangalore - INDIA
Likvid said:
We got IPTV everywhere here in Sweden and we have the largest explotation of FTTH, Fibre To The Home, in excess of everything from 10 to 100Mbps.

Both Canal Digital and Viasat send their channel packages thru IPTV here, i don't have any figures how sucessfull it has become as we have a large cable-tv penetration here also and DVB-T.

I beleive DVB-S got the smallest marketshare in Sweden, that is pretty funny as we had the largest installs of large motorized systems in the 80's and early 90's close behind Germany.

Anyway, people seems to be happy with IPTV and it's quality, no problems so far, the only caveat is that there isn't much choice out there when it comes to choosing your own receiver, mostly Kreatel, another leading Swedish IPTV STB manufacturer, is the major supplier today both domestic and globally.

Is it true that Bahnhof offers 100 Mbit Unlimited Upload and Download for 324 SEK/month? And is it also true that you get 40Gb over there?

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Chit Chat, when reading this thread bear in mind that it is over 2 years old (also likvid is no longer a forum member so won't reply to your message) :)