What does "toggle" on LNBF do?

Gadgeteer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sony 32" LCD TV
Humax freesat HD STB
My Location
UK
After my disappointing experiences with Freeview in an area with marginal reception (ok in the winter, poor the rest of the year), I've decided to go down the freesat route.

I'm going try to install the Triax Sky-type dish and (Humax HD) STB myself. I've just bought both and will attempt the install over the weekend. I think I'll be ok with the elevation and azimuth side of things, supported by an SLX satfinder.
However, I have a question about the WNC single LNBF that came with the dish. There is a small "toggle" on the side of it which looks like it rotates the LNB. Does this relate to polarisation and what effect does rotation have on the received signal?

Any help would be much appreciated - thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi, the little meter should make life relatively easy. :) The skew adjustment you speak of, is very much suck it and see, find the satellite first and lock up the nuts on the dish, then try it on the first setting and check the signal quality reading on the receiver, then try it on the next setting and check again. The best reading is the one to leave it on, but there won't be a massive difference when using a minidish. :)

Gadgeteer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sony 32" LCD TV
Humax freesat HD STB
My Location
UK
Thanks for your speedy reply Rolf.

If I've understood you correctly the toggle adjusts the skew of the LNBF and is related to signal quality rather than signal strength?

I'll proceed step by step as per your suggestion.

Cheers, S

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Gadgeteer said:
Thanks for your speedy reply Rolf.

If I've understood you correctly the toggle adjusts the skew of the LNBF and is related to signal quality rather than signal strength?

I'll proceed step by step as per your suggestion.

Cheers, S

All satellites lie in a curve in the sky known as the clarke belt. Skew adjustment will match the satellites position relative to earth and your location.
:)