Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 808 2CI
Matrix Reloaded Cam
Fixed dish 13E
My Location
Surrey/Berks Border
Hi

I've arrived in Japan at quite short notice. I thought I should look at buying opportunites and indulge. Does anyone have any views as to what I should buy? I could do with a new digital camera and a mobile phone. Any views as to what I should get in a mid price range also what other gadgets could be good value here? I suppose an I-Phone would be good if available here.

The toilet seats are heated but I am not planning to bring one of those back. The hotels have free internet access. Food is pretty good but I am getting a few surprises.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You should certainly be able to buy a camera cheaper, but whether it will be that much cheaper is debatable. At least you can cross reference the prices against the UK by using the net. :)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
You'll have to pay VAT if bringing it home with you. I bought an Olympus camera in Kyoto - and left it in my hotel! It cost me more than buying it here by the time I had asked the hotel to send it to me, with duty, VAT etc. :-doh2

Llew

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Or, if you don't feel honour bound to respect the tax laws, leave all packaging etc in Japan and (if it's a camera) put it in a camera bag with some memory cards and a couple of other camera related things and, if asked, say you have had the whole lot for a while.

eghamhigh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 808 2CI
Matrix Reloaded Cam
Fixed dish 13E
My Location
Surrey/Berks Border
Ah yes - the taxman I had forgotten about him.

So nothing too large then. I think that it may be a mobile phone with a reasonable camera. Any suggestions?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
PoloMint said:
Or, if you don't feel honour bound to respect the tax laws, leave all packaging etc in Japan and (if it's a camera) put it in a camera bag with some memory cards and a couple of other camera related things and, if asked, say you have had the whole lot for a while.

Well that was my plan. Unfortunately the camera was 'intercepted' by customs and the dreaded customs bill was kindly enclosed in the package :eek:

Llew

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
eghamhigh said:
Ah yes - the taxman I had forgotten about him.

So nothing too large then. I think that it may be a mobile phone with a reasonable camera. Any suggestions?

Don't know what's hot and what's not there now, my trips were in the early '90s, but I would suggest keeping away from the overpriced items in the hotel shops.

The Ginza district in Tokyo had many goodies in the electronics shops - I was stunned by the PC video displays in the windows. The resolution of the images was breathtaking compared to the stuff available here then.

Bargaining isn't normally practiced in Japan, but worth a try. Pity it was my last stop - I should have done my big shopping in Hong Kong :-doh2

Llew

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If you have room in the suitcase

http://world.honda.com/Tokyo2001/motor/lineup/xaxis.html

I'll have £50 waiting for you at the airport. ;)

eghamhigh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 808 2CI
Matrix Reloaded Cam
Fixed dish 13E
My Location
Surrey/Berks Border
Sorry forgot the honda. Narita airport shops are all being renovated. I could not find a camera shop there or even an electronics shop so did not buy anything! Glad to be back eating proper food again. This was the first holiday where I did not put on an ounce. Toyko had an earthquake of 7.5 on the Reichter scale just after I left and after I had transited through Colombo airport, I heard on the news this morning that the Tamil Tigers had attacked the military part of the airport killing one person. and injuring others. Good curries in Colombo airport. But anything better than slimy seaweed.

Site Services

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised 1.2M Fibo looking between 45E - 60W, TM9100 Receiver running EDG-Nemesis 3.2 in flash
My Location
Wolverhampton
Channel Hopper said:
If you have room in the suitcase

http://world.honda.com/Tokyo2001/motor/lineup/xaxis.html

I'll have £50 waiting for you at the airport. ;)

Ummmm, that's what I call a bike.....

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Site Services said:
Ummmm, that's what I call a bike.....

Grrr, and it is still in Japan :mad: