What happens in a Scart to S-Video lead?

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
I need a Scart to S-Video lead for connecting a VCR to my TV tuner (which only has S-Video in, no composite)

I have a pile of unused Scart leads and S-Vid cables so I don’t want to spend a fiver for a cable (where I live I have to buy online, they are even expensive on Ebay) so I would rather cut up some of the cables I already have.

So what goes where in the cables?

Relevant pins on the Scart
17 Video out earth
19 Video out

And on the S-Video
3 LUMINANCE (BRIGHTNESS)
4 CHROMINANCE (COLOUR)

How does the 17 on the Scart meet the 3+4 on the S-Vid? Someone said a resistor was needed is that true?

Any help much appreciated.

My Satellite Setup
SkyStar2
Disecq2 switch
2 dishes
PoloMint said:
I need a Scart to S-Video lead for connecting a VCR to my TV tuner (which only has S-Video in, no composite)

So what goes where in the cables?

Relevant pins on the Scart
17 Video out earth
19 Video out

And on the S-Video
3 LUMINANCE (BRIGHTNESS)
4 CHROMINANCE (COLOUR)

How does the 17 on the Scart meet the 3+4 on the S-Vid? Someone said a resistor was needed is that true?
Any help much appreciated.
Not so much. Normally should be connected pin 4 of miniDIN to pin 3 thru 470pF ceramic capacitor. On some notebooks does not work - then test to connect pins 3 and 4 thru 75ohm resistors - tested from some ACER notebooks to LCD video monitor...

ASCII graphics:

First mode:
pin3 --------------*----------composite
pin4---capacitor--|
pins 1+2 -----------------------ground

Second mode
pin3-----resistor---*--------composite
pin4----resistor----|
pins 1+2 -----------------------ground

Testing should not be dangerous for your equipment, because of internal impedance & protecting resistors ...
Good luck & bye..

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Wow this is an old thread! :eek:

In the end I bought a scart > composite/s-video/audio converter as I couldn't find an solution for a home made cable.

But thanks for the reply anyway Mirek von Zlin, will probably come in useful sometime.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, a rave from the grave, but an informative answer nonetheless, nicely adds to our information bank. :)