Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
P4 laptop
P4 desktop
Panasonic Sky IRD
My Location
Yate
Hi all,

Following too much time spent reading this forum, I have bitten the bullet and purchased some parts for what will (hopefully) become my first motorised satellite system.

However, I purchased a job lot of stuff, and I haven't really got a clue what I've got.

Any help or advice gratefully accepted

The dish is 1m in size, that's about all I know.

There is also a small black box that was included, I'll modify this post later with what it's called.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
P4 laptop
P4 desktop
Panasonic Sky IRD
My Location
Yate
Rd100 said:
looks like a 1m lenson heath with polar mount and 8 inch jack

Is that good?
My plan is to mount this above the roofline at the side of my house, giving me a full 360 degree view.

(as you can probably tell, I'm a bit new to all this multi-satellite stuff, but I'm keen to get involved)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You may want to get a bigger jack, but it should suffice to start wiith. :)

With regard to what you need to see, as long as you can see up to 60 degrees either side of due South, that will be sufficient for pretty much every satellite available with that dish size.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
I had one of those up as my first dish, lasted many years and gave great service. Just take a few days to set it up properly and you'll have a fine system there.

Could do with a piccy of the black box though.

L.:)

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
P4 laptop
P4 desktop
Panasonic Sky IRD
My Location
Yate
rolfw said:
You may want to get a bigger jack, but it should suffice to start wiith. :)

With regard to what you need to see, as long as you can see up to 60 degrees either side of due South, that will be sufficient for pretty much every satellite available with that dish size.

Forgive the newbie question, but which part is the jack and what does it do?

I'd love to be able to receive every satellite visible from the UK, but I'm lead to believe that a 1m dish is the biggest I can have without planning, and also the biggest that it's advisable to bolt to the side of my house?

I suppose the next step really is to decide on a receiver, I've heard good things about the Dreambox, but I understand it's Linux driven and takes ages to set up.
I'm really looking for a simple solution whereby I can connect the dish to the receiver and the receiver will automatically move the dish to point in the correct direction for whatever satellite I want to view - is this too much to ask?

I have a scaffold tower organised for a few weeks time to get the dish up, so I'll have multi-sat soon!!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The jack is the piston unit, it drives the polarmount to give you the arc.

The Dreambox can be relatively easy to use, you need to know nothing about Linux, but you do need to be able to use FTP software.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
also dont forget to get a vbox so that you can use the 36volt motor with any reciever that has diseqc 1.2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
P4 laptop
P4 desktop
Panasonic Sky IRD
My Location
Yate
wod said:
also dont forget to get a vbox so that you can use the 36volt motor with any reciever that has diseqc 1.2

Ahhhh...... You may have solved the mystery of the little black box that came with the dish etc.

I can't upload a pic at the moment as I'm at work, but the box says

Aston Interface DS100 on the front
on the back it has connectors for motor, sqew, receiver and lnb
and written on a label is Disceq to standard 36v actuator

so this box clips in to the lnb cable between the receiver and the dish and also has motor wires that run to the jack???

Again, forgive the janet and john book 1 questions, but you don't ask you don't learn!!

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Yes, the Aston DS100 is similar to the v-box. Uses the same protocol.

Llew

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
dangermouse1977 said:
I can't upload a pic at the moment as I'm at work, but the box says

Aston Interface DS100 on the front
on the back it has connectors for motor, sqew, receiver and lnb
and written on a label is Disceq to standard 36v actuator

so this box clips in to the lnb cable between the receiver and the dish and also has motor wires that run to the jack???

well the lnb cable will go into the ds100 box then a loop through cable will go to the lnb input of the receiver and the 4 core motor cable will connect to the 4 separate connections on the back

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
P4 laptop
P4 desktop
Panasonic Sky IRD
My Location
Yate
I'm now moving house so the above assembly

1m Lenson Heath
Polar Mount
8" jack
Aston DS1000

Is now spare as I am moving to a house with a garden so can have a ground mount and much bigger dish.

I'll stick these in the classifieds, but as there appear to be tumbleweeds blowing through that section I thought I'd mention it here.

If these are any use to anyone, contact me with offers