What is a CAM

bandk56

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Standard sky setup in UK and Technomate TM 5400 CI+ USB Super with 1.2 dish, technomate 0.1lnb and diseq motor system in Spain
My Location
UK and Spain
and what do they do,in simple terms?

I can get my head around inserting a card, say a sky card into a receiver to get the sky channels. But why do you need to plug a 'gizmo' into the box containing a card as well?

So thats the question. Now for the follow up:) If I have to buy one which would be the best to go for, inasmuch as covering the most bases so to speak.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Its a box of electronics which reads subscription cards. Many are type specific for one particular encryption (Seca / Viaccess / Irdeto etc) This means one receiver can have various cams plugged into it to decrypt different channels in different countries.

Some newer ones are "multicrypt" - they can read cards of more than one encryption. However sometimes they have problems writing the monthly authorisation codes to the cards - so the screen goes black!

Which is "the best one" depends on what type of card(s) you want to put into it.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
CAM stand for Conditional Access Module. It contains the electronics and firmware to understand a specific type (or types) of encryption such as Nagravision, Viaccess etc.

A CAM can be a separate card, in which case it slides into a CI (Common Interface) slot, or embedded. All of $ly's boxes have embedded CAMs and there are no official external CAMs that support Videoguard. There were some unofficial CAMs that used to but they have been rendered obsolete by the recent $ly card change.

Note that you need a valid inserted into CAM in order to decrypt programmes.

bandk56

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Standard sky setup in UK and Technomate TM 5400 CI+ USB Super with 1.2 dish, technomate 0.1lnb and diseq motor system in Spain
My Location
UK and Spain
Right I understand now. I thought it was as simple as say shoving a nagravision card into the slot on the box, same as you do with sky. So each card needs a 'dedicated' cam. Unless of course there is a multi-reader cam that covers the cards you want.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
bandk56 said:
Right I understand now. I thought it was as simple as say shoving a nagravision card into the slot on the box, same as you do with sky. So each card needs a 'dedicated' cam. Unless of course there is a multi-reader cam that covers the cards you want.

Basically yes. Many cards will read successfully in a multicam, Ask if you want to know if any particular card will work, someone wil know. (ATM Sky UK cards dont - since the card swapout)