what is mpeg 4? how to recieve?

harmio

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi there guys
I have noticed a channel I have been after for years has now started broadcasting in mpeg4 in the clear. From my research i have found that this is usually used for HD broadcasts. But I know this channel has no HD equipment. I also found that HD only uses DVB S2, whereas this is coming in DVBS. What reciever would I need to recieve this mpeg4? are there such recievers? I also have a skystar 2 card,, I am thinking, with correct software, could I decode the mpeg4?

I assumed mpeg4 was worse quality thatn mpeg2.. I am wrong then

oops..forgot to say its
Armenia tv eutelsat w2 16e.
12.642 sr.3418 2/3 VPID: 3617 AUDIO PID:3633
Regards

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Anything at that symbol rate is not going to be quality, at any standard

Your Skystar is highly unlikely to clear it.

harmio

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
ok thanks
i just wondered as i thought , with the correct codec installed, my computer would be able to decode an mpeg4 stream?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well you can buy an MPEG4 CAM, I've yet to try one, but I guess it should be possible to emulate this CAM.:)

harmio

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
thank you,
I think i know what you mean:) I will try to find an emulator somewhere..
I also found a couple of actual CAM's on ebay, one was Viaccess MPEG4 cam., the other Conax MPEG4 cam. The description for both was "allow your reciever to display mpeg4 channels." does the fact that one is viaccess and one conax make any difference? i assume they could both decode FTA mpeg4. I'm a student and this sorta stuff costs me my food for 3 weeks :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, yes I believe that they should work on any FTA MPEG4 channel and which model you buy would depend on whether you were going to subscribe to channels.

harmio

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Ok, so it looks like I've *some* luck.

I emailed a dealer on Ebay who said he tried searching for the channel in an mpeg2 reciever. He said the reciever stored it as a radio channel, making it not display a picture! ( Strange??!)

He then said he tried it in an "mpeg4 modified mpeg2 receiver", with the MPEG4 cam, and it worked fine.

SO basically, what I now need is a reciever with a CI slot ( as I dont have one) which will store the channel as tv. I have so far emailed h*sat.com, a few ebay sellers, and no one in the last week has even answered. I am not sure where to find a dealer who can recommend a system with a CI slot, that will store this channel correctly ( guess its just hit and miss ) and also sell me an mpeg4 cam. Its business at the end of the day surely! Does anyone know of anyone ? lol

Jospat

Reaction score
Hi harmio! How did your experience go with the MPEG4 CAM? I am right now seriously thinking of buying one for my MPEG2 receiver, and would very grateful I know how your luck worked out.

Jospat

Reaction score
rolfw said:
LOL, yes I believe that they should work on any FTA MPEG4 channel and which model you buy would depend on whether you were going to subscribe to channels.

Hi Rolfw, have you tried one yet? Just want to be sure before I get one.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Jospat, your replying to a thread which is over 3 years old.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL yes and I've since bought a Cuberevo 3000 HD, which works with MPEG4, so haven't had the need for one.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Jospat said:
Hi harmio! How did your experience go with the MPEG4 CAM? I am right now seriously thinking of buying one for my MPEG2 receiver, and would very grateful I know how your luck worked out.

If you can let us know what receiver you have and which channels you are looking to get, you will get a better response.

Neotion MPEG4 modules are available from a couple of the site sponsors, and include FTA as well as Viaccess and Conax varieties mentioned in the earlier posts.

Jospat

Reaction score
I have a strong SRT4896 PVR twin turner receiver which has a conax card reader and is MPEG-2 compliant. I would like a CAM that I can work with a multichoice africa irdeto card, and can allow me to watch free MPEG-4 channels on Eutelsat W2A at 10E. The receiver is very new and I am not ready to dispose of it just yet considering what it cost me. Thanks for your advice.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Well there is a pocket CAM that does Irdeto and MPEG-4 to MPEG-2, but I suspect they are a bit thin on the ground in the UK.