what is multicrypt cam

flashgordon1952

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky amstrad and panasonic systems 6 pack setup. two 42cm dishes.just ordered a technomate 6900HD with motorised system one metre dish. also at another address.twin feed static 80 mm dish non digital system. 6 year old dell with server memory 680 of
My Location
essex in the wilds somewhere
there are i know a number of cams available for different cards and subscriptions. but the technomate uses Multicrypt. what is actually. does it mean yu dont have to buy other cams for the cards yu wish to subscribe too

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
If it is an embedded card reader, then they should give a list of all the encryption systems that it can support.
My guess is Viaccess, Irdeto, Seca, but not NDS.
Contact them or the rep and find out.

katkins

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDCI-2000
1m USALS Motorised Dish with 0.2 LNB
My Location
Chester
Hi all

I am a bit confused about multicrypt receivers and patching.

I am not a complete beginner to satellite TV but have not bought a receiver for a number of years..... things have moved on a bit since I bought my Mediamaster 9800s!

I want a receiver with a Viaccess cam (embedded is fine), but I find that most receivers now have Multicrypt cams. I quite like the Technomate 3200 D+ but I am confused by the description of the receiver which says it is a multicrypt card reader and patchable. Does this mean that I have to keep downloading software to keep the Viaccess cam working, or is the patching for other purposes?

I dont mind the patching facility which I may or may not use, but i want a viaccess cam which I do not need to keep updating. Will this be OK for me.

Thanks in advance.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
If it has a Viaccess embedded CAM, then you don't have to worry about updating it, unless a new specific version for Viaccess is announced.
The patching is for other purposes.
Best to contact the manufacturer or the distributor and ask all these questions as they are usually happy to answer your presale questions.
It is the after sale complaints that they don't like, and I am talking in general terms and not for any specific model.:)

katkins

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDCI-2000
My Location
Chester
Thanks for that. The problem is that the receivers I have seen with embedded Viaccess are quite basic. The receivers with a few more feature (which is what I want) seem to have Multicrypt card readers.

What I need to know is if I get a receiver with Multicrypt (that says it supports Viaccess) can I just put a viewing card in and be sure I can always watch my channels without having to update the Multicrypt. i.e. Is Multicrypt just the same as the old embedded Viaccess Cam but instead of being able to read just Viaccess it can also read Conax cards etc?

Thanks

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky; Raven 90 multi-LNB 1W,5E, 7E, 9E, 13E 16E, 19E, 28E; 60cm Triax dish on Moteck SG2100 motor; Various Receivers
My Location
Kent, UK
katkins said:
Thanks for that. The problem is that the receivers I have seen with embedded Viaccess are quite basic. The receivers with a few more feature (which is what I want) seem to have Multicrypt card readers.

What I need to know is if I get a receiver with Multicrypt (that says it supports Viaccess) can I just put a viewing card in and be sure I can always watch my channels without having to update the Multicrypt. i.e. Is Multicrypt just the same as the old embedded Viaccess Cam but instead of being able to read just Viaccess it can also read Conax cards etc?

Thanks

More or less, a good summary of the position.

katkins

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDCI-2000
My Location
Chester
Sounds like that is what I want then. Thanks for your help.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
katkins said:

Thanks

Just get a list of all the encryptions that it will support directly from the manufacturer or his distributor.
You can be sure that it WILL NOT support NDS for example.
Will it support Nagravision, Conax, Irdeto, Seca, etc?
Don't fall into the trap of buying something without knowing the limitations.