What is Sky Anytime ??

Robbiewright

Member of the Big Dish Club
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky plus V3 and a 50 inch plasma screen.
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
Sky Anytime. Just appeared over night. I can't work out what it's for. Could some one a bit smarter them me let me know?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
A push service where Sky download loads of crap programmes overnight onto the half of the hdd they have reserved for their own use.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
Sky Anytime is not bad at all. You might describe David Lean's Lawrence of Arabia, On the Waterfront with Marlon Brando, and Tom and Jerry (all currently on Sky Anytime) as crap, but I wouldn't.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I don't think anyone would call those films crap but I've seen them all so the word crap really refers to the Sky service taking up 50% of a disc that's not cheap just to d/l'd old stuff.

Maybe if there was more choice it might be viewed differently.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
According to Sky it is:

Simply, it's a great new way to enjoy the TV you love. Every week, choose from a selection of Sky TV's top movies and TV entertainment, including episodes of new Sky series and hidden gems from undiscovered channels. Get your favourites, and watch them when you're ready.

* Sky's pick of the week's TV programmes, updated daily
* Top quality movies to enjoy on a quiet night in
* Episodes from top shows like Lost
* A great choice of kids' shows
* Hidden gems that you might not have otherwise seen
* Choose from up to 40 hours of TV

You need a newish Sky+ or SkyHD box to get it.

So yes, really they just put 40 hours of TV on your hard drive, without asking, and 'let' you watch it whenever you want, until they replace it with something else.

It's also available on a PC over a broadband connection - the programme choice on a PC might be different.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
Kids programmes are without commercials on Sky anytime, so this is a considerable improvement.
I know Sky is overpriced, and really tacky at times, but try watching pay TV such as Digital+ in Spain: crap programmes, no widescreen or HD, crap boxes, crap remote, crap box software, just about crap everything. Sky is light years ahead in technology, quality and ideas.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I agree about the technical advantage of Sky and Sky+ HD is a long way ahead of any opposition. But at the end of the day it's the programme content that counts and always will. Sadly to get anything remotely worth watching it's pricey.

The revenue for the main companies can be summarised as follows

BBC = Licence money (Sub)
ITV - Advertising
Sky = Both = greedy

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
sky anytime sounds rubbish to me, mainly cos I've used Virgin's on-demand, you don't need a PVR box cos it just streams from the magic box somewhere in the country and you have full sky+ style controls... :D

Only downside to it is you have to be in a cabled area, and if you are then having the road/path/garden dug up and messily filled in (or the cable just left on the surface!!!)... :(

buuuut, that's Cable talk.... :D :-Nooo

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greater London
Analoguesat said:
I know someone who would :D :-rofl2
Probably find that Shilpa Shetty is their idol. :)

stuzeeuk

Dont eat yellow snow
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 88, mulitblock
13E, 19E, 28E
DM 800HD
My Location
Glasgow, Scotland
jimbo said:

Whats wrong with Shilpa ?????

I hope your not being racist !!!!
;) :-rofl2

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
jimbo said:

Nope - its me :D If its not a sci fi film with good looking females in it Im not the slightest bit intersted :-rofl2

PS - who is Shilpa Shetty??

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Analoguesat said:
Groundhog day.....ask Richard Gere :cool::-rofl2

stuzeeuk

Dont eat yellow snow
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 88, mulitblock
13E, 19E, 28E
DM 800HD
My Location
Glasgow, Scotland
Analoguesat said:
Nope - its me :D If its not a sci fi film with good looking females in it Im not the slightest bit intersted :-rofl2

Bring back Barbarella !!! .... thats what I say

:-rofl2 Humping

harrowwoman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
One dish 1.5cm with 3 LNBs picking up Hotbird,Arabsat,Astra
old Echostar receiver, GlobalStar 6000i
My Location
Harrow,Middlesex, UK
I just signed up for Sky+, they are coming on Saturday to install. My TV tho is an old one which I want to replace. Can you guys give me any advice on what TV to buy which is not too expensive, somethign32' or 40' maybe, what would I need?

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greater London
stuzeeuk said:

Hey now you're talking. :cool:

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greater London
harrowwoman said:
I just signed up for Sky+, they are coming on Saturday to install. My TV tho is an old one which I want to replace. Can you guys give me any advice on what TV to buy which is not too expensive, somethign32' or 40' maybe, what would I need?

It depends on the size of your room really and how close to the TV you would be. Personally to get an idea I would look at a few in a showroom. My choice would probably be Sony (with the Bravia engine) or a Panasonic. A 32" or a 40" would be ok for most average rooms. I would make sure you get one with two HDMI connections (not DVI) for high definition connection.

In your case I would go to the Watford branch of John Lewis where the staff are helpful and not pushy. They price match with any other store and also offer a FREE 5-year warranty.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
stuzeeuk said:

Yes, watched that again the other day, very dated, but Jane Fonda was one of my favourites and always worth watching. :)

I had the PC version of Sky Anytime and apart from the fact that I really don't want to watch movies on my PC, I didn't like the P2P nature of the software, someone leeching off my upload bandwidth does not appeal to me. ;)

I am yet to update to one of the newer Sky+ boxes, but probably will do in the coming months, as I need a loan receiver and can use my old one, so at the moment I cannot use Sky Anytime anyway. :)