What is the best LNB for fringe reception?

hoppo

Reaction score
As the title says,

Seems to be that the Invacom is favourite here no the Costa Blanca with the 2.4M prime focus dishes. But the Sharp gets a good mention as well.

What's your experience?

Hoppo

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
hoppo said:

That would depend on the type of dish used...C120 Invacoms are a favorite on large prime focus dishes...I personally prefer to use Sharp 0.4dB LNBF over invacom 0.3dB on offset dishes over 1.2m...

enoc

What?
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0 m OffSet dish - Astra II
1.2 m Offset dish - Astra & Hot Bird
0.60 mts Hispasat
0.60 mts Nilesat

Box Kaon 570 & Pace 2600
My Location
Tenerife - Canary Islands
IMHO

prime focus = invacom

offset = maximun 0.3 nf

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
On the 1.8m dishes I am working on here, I have found a big improvement when changing from Sharp to Invacom LNB's.
It's not only that Sharp are not as good, it's that a universal LNB is never going to be as good as a C120 version on a large dish. From my experience, dishes from 1.2m upwards perform much better when fitted with C120 LNB's and separate feedhorn. The difference is most marked on Astra 2D reception, but Sharp 0.3's are weaker on the north beam on the higher frequencies, meaning poor results on Sky Movies here in Madrid. I think it is a cross- polarisation issue.

powel000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Paraclipse 2.40m solid dish,
Jonsa 1.80m dish,
3.40m mesh dish,
dreambox7020SI,
relook400S,
HUMAX, dream 500hd
90CM DISH,
My Location
AMMAN-JORDAN
I think there is no rule of thumb as to best LNB. Its all trial and error and depends on size of dish, location and bird you are trying to recieve. My experience with both Invacoms has been horrible for a prime focus 2.40m Solid paraclypse. I bought a Santech LNB for a fraction of the price and gave me much better results. I finally did use the Invacom with an offset dish 1/80m and gave me good results. I think the Invacoms are way too expensive and way overrated.

>COR<

Reaction score
My Location
Sneek, HOLLAND
The invacoms going here for 15 -20 euro, the Offset ones then ;)

As for reception, get the biggest dish possible first, if your reception depends on the fringe of the specifications of the lnb(f) your dish is too small.

I always try to make an spare 6 dB for rainy days, since i want to keep an piccie as well then :)

Cheers,
Cor

Mike4t

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Solid 2.4M C120 Invacom0.03db twin, ADF120 Feedhorn, Pace2600 &amp; Pace DS430N. SKY package exc Sports
My Location
Costa Blanca
Just my experience over last three days,

have a 2.4m Prime solid dish ( Portuguese), and originally set up on Invacom twin c120, However changed on Fri for an Invacom quad, C120, had great difficulty in getting the balance on skew for CH4 and Eurosport, could only get one or other, also found Sky movies became unstable, Lost BBC2 and didnt see again until about 8 PM.spent all day adjusting and really couldnt improve, so on Sun changed for another Quad, and still no real improvement, put the Twin Back ontoday, and now have all back, although BBC 2 since hour change does not now come in till about early to mid afternoon, then stays in all day with a little drift at about 5.30 ish local time,
So my conclusion is that for my current setup the Twin is the better performer,
As to the sharp, have tried the single and found it to be good when adapted with a C120 feedhorn, however working on adapting a twin, as I have had very positive reports from Digital satellite in Benidorm who say that it outperforms the INVACOM TWIN,, will advise when I have finished.

({})

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
Just a quick note for those experimenting with different LNB's in fringe areas..
LNB skew is VERY sensitive on 28.2...so even a milimeter either way can sometimes mean the difference between a picture & no picture on weak channels...so do take this into account when setting up your systems..

Mike4t

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Solid 2.4M C120 Invacom0.03db twin, ADF120 Feedhorn, Pace2600 &amp; Pace DS430N. SKY package exc Sports
My Location
Costa Blanca
iceman said:
Just a quick note for those experimenting with different LNB's in fringe areas..
LNB skew is VERY sensitive on 28.2...so even a milimeter either way can sometimes mean the difference between a picture & no picture on weak channels...so do take this into account when setting up your systems..

Absolutely,, I have a lot of trouble getting the balance right between Eurosport and Ch4, on the quad, it just didnt happen, one or the other, I have since gone back to the twin, and now ok again (NB I am referring to the black out that occurs here from about 1645 GMT and thru to about 1800 in varying degrees of reception):-bash