Advice Needed What is the best solution ?

CTAGGY

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
have not got one yet
My Location
Peak District
What is the best solution?

Issue

I have 4 TVs. The main TV is a recently bought Smart TV which is wall mounted in the sitting room and has a single HIMI cable going to it. https://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/43uh603v/lg-43uh603v .

The other 3 TVs are not smart TVs and are post 2008. They all have WF single 100 cable going to them. All the WF 100 cable runs back to where the main TV will be in the sitting room and to where the HDMI input cable goes for the main TV.

I only have an internet speed of 3-4 MBPS. The modem for this in the opposite side of the sitting room to where the main TV is and all the return WF 100 cables for the secondary TVs. However, as I have not fitted the skirting boards yet I could run an Ethernet cable or something similar to the central point and any to other wiring that is required to a dish and or aerial etc. (incidentally when testing I get no difference between the speed of my wireless connection, TP links and a direct Ethernet connection).

Desired Outcome

I want to be able to add satellite (if not now at least in the future for football) and watch freeview and or Freesat, in the best quality possible and add a reliable IPTV service. I want to minimise the number of outside wires and boxes or keep them to a sensible number and have as much independent control over the TVs as possible when it comes to changing channels.

In terms of the main TV, I would like to be able to record and play TV back and have a decent EPG. If these facilities could be extended to at least 1 of the other TVs whilst still being able to watch something different then that would be great. I would be quite happy for the other 2 TVs to just have Freeview and or Freestat. All the TVs should be capable of accessing the IPTV service however given the limitations of my internet speed I am guessing this will be limited to 1 TV at a time at best.

What would be the best solution : in terms of cabling, branded boxes, splitters , aerial and dishes etc. for a neat and tidy installation and what would I connect to what ? I live in a conservation area (national park SK17 ) so the smaller or more discrete the aerial and or dish the better. I also want to add a surround sound system to the main TV in the next 6 months. I have all the speaker cables in (5 in total) going back to the same central point.

Many thanks C

PS Note all these TV are wall mounted so it will not be possible to run other cables to them, albeit there are electrical points behind the TVs for power, so something very small and discreet could potentially be added as long as it fitted behind the actual TV.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Check online to see if fibre broadband is available, in your area:
Code:
https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx

Also check online, or at the local government offices, what you are allowed, regarding a satellite dish, or TV antenna, in your area.

Check local houses, to see how high their television aerials have to be to pick up a decent reception.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Before planning anything else you need to check what the Freeview signal is like and what muxes it makes available. Next you need to check what size dish is allowed - very important if you are thinking of 3 p.m. kick offs on the EPL as you may need a very large dish. Next your internet speed is unlikely to give reliable IPTV services (although possibly acceptable at times).
If you want satellite receivers at the secondary TVs with the ability to watch one and record another then you will need an additional WF100 cable to each.