What is the minimum quality signal percent to be able to watch a digital channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ynot62

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
can anybody tell me what is the minimum signal quality percent to be bale to watch a digital channel?
a lot of people talk about 90 %, or 70 % or 60 %..
i get very confused
thank u
Tony

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The quality reading on the digiboxes vary, so there is no ready answer to your question. As a general rule of thumb, if the quality reading on the box fall below 25%, you will start getting dropouts and pixellation, but it does vary from box to box.

ynot62

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
thank u rolfw..if someone get a 60/ 70 % on a 2.40 dish just 100 miles south of Rome dont u think that i should get something with the same dish in sicily?
im telling you that cause i would buy a 3 mts dish if only knew that i could get Astra 2D for sure...
ciao Tony

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
One would certainly think that was the case Tony, but I wouldn't guarantee it, as it has been found on more than one occasion, that there can be huge differences between relatively close areas.

I'm sure though that there must be someone on the Island with a 2.4 or 3 metre steerable dish, just a matter of finding them. :)

JSmith

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Techisat freesat receiver, 1.2m dish, Astra2connect 1Mb 2 way connection
My Location
Sicily, Italy altitude 937m Etna
Videobank in Belpasso have a large portable motorised dish

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well that must be some kind of record, revitalising a Thread from 7 years ago!

Ciao :)

JSmith

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Actually I have a similar problem. I have a technisat freesat box, 1.2 m dish pointed at 28.5 I get 70% signal strength but only 1.9db to max 4 db and whilst I can receive CBS, Food Channel Movies4men etc, and the EPG works, ITV and BBC and Channel 4 all show "no Signal" although the EPG shows programme progression. Is this just because the signal needs to be improved somehow or are these channels broadcast differently than the other freesat channels (i.e weaker signal). What Db is needed to receive Freesat ITV. I am at nearly 1km altitude in Sicily, Italy. Desperate to watch the world cup.

JSmith

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Maybe everyone else in Sicily has given up, but the introduction of Freesat might make it more current

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
JSmith said:
Actually I have a similar problem. I have a technisat freesat box, 1.2 m dish pointed at 28.5 I get 70% signal strength but only 1.9db to max 4 db and whilst I can receive CBS, Food Channel Movies4men etc, and the EPG works, ITV and BBC and Channel 4 all show "no Signal" although the EPG shows programme progression. Is this just because the signal needs to be improved somehow or are these channels broadcast differently than the other freesat channels (i.e weaker signal). What Db is needed to receive Freesat ITV. I am at nearly 1km altitude in Sicily, Italy. Desperate to watch the world cup.

Well the EPG on a Freesat Box comes from their default Transponder on Eurobird, which is not a difficult catch for you with that 1.2m dish.

But the Channels you crave are on Astra 2D, so you may never get them without a huge dish.

In Southern Italy it is generally accepted to be impossible to get 2D, but whether anybody has succeeded in Sicily I cannot say. Not aware of it being done.

The problem is there are black holes in the 2D footprint around your way ................

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
JSmith said:
Maybe everyone else in Sicily has given up, but the introduction of Freesat might make it more current

Not really - the only significant difference between Sky, Freesat and generic FTA is the EPG, for all practical purposes.

Sky's EPG comes from Astra 2A (gettable for you)
Freesat's EPG comes from Eurobird (ditto)

In these two cases, you can, therefore, get EPG data even though you can't get the actual Channel.

DVB-S generic Now & Next data is transmitted alongside the relevant bouquet only (ie If you can't get the Channel itself, you won't get EPG data either)

The Channels themselves are exactly the same, so if you can't get 'em, you can't get 'em.

JSmith

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I'm going up the scaffolding to move the dish the .3 degrees to pick up astra 2d. But will I still pick up the EPG from 28.5.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
You don't stand a chance of 2D there with a 1.2m dish.

You might still get the Freesat EPG though - hard to say as the dish beamwidth is quite narrow but not desperately so.

Nevertheless, not sure what you hope to achieve?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Tivù said:
You don't stand a chance of 2D there with a 1.2m dish.

Tivu is correct - you need a MUCH MUCH bigger dish to get the BBC ITV & C4 Freesat channels in Sicily. Start thinking of something in the 3-5m range! :-rofl2

With no guarantee that will be successful!

You see southern Italy is in an exceedingly poor signal strenth area for Astra 2D which carries your desired channels..

Status
Not open for further replies.