What is your favourite Jam brand?

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
I like to have jam during breakfast.
The thing is we have very limited good quality jam brands here and the locally made brands taste awful.
There are two brands that I like: Hero (Swiss) and St. Dalfour (French).
Their prices seem to go up all the time so I am looking for information about other good quality jam brands from Europe.
Please let me know your favourite jam brand and their website link so that I can try them out. Thanks. :)
The last resort would be to make it myself, but there is too much work involved.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Try the Polish jam company, Krakus, always used to love their jams. :)

_http://www.agrosnova.pl/nasze_marki/krakus.html

_http://www.anglo-dal.com/about_us.html

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Thanks. :)
Just saw this yummy looking Trappist Preserves (made by monks in the US)
_https://www.monasterygreetings.com/Products.asp?PCID=140
_https://www.monasterygreetings.com/Products.asp?PCID=252

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Just looked in the fridge and the wife swears (sic) by Bonne Maman - from France of course.

I perfer marmalade (thick cut) or maybe Ginger Preserve on my toast, especially after a boiled egg.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I have a sweet tooth as well

Tiptree for me from my Kosher butcher's

_http://www.titanics.co.uk/acatalog/Jams.html

and Bonne Maman from Morrisons

and Krakus were always good but I do not see them anymore

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Thanks for all the replies.:)
Now I have some good brands to try out.
The only problem I have at the moment is that there are no deliveries outside the UK.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
HB13DISH said:
Thanks for all the replies.:)
Now I have some good brands to try out.
The only problem I have at the moment is that there are no deliveries outside the UK.

Well unusually for our family we will not (I do not think) be making it to Israel this year otherwise I would have brought you some HB. I was under the impression Titanics delivered abroad. We have all our meat and poultry delivered for £10.00, even if it is 3 boxes of refrigerated food. It would cost me more than that to drive there and back

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Thanks Topper, this is really very kind of you.:)
The whole objective was to learn about other good brands so that I can order them on a regular basis through the internet and not just sample the products.
So thanks to you all I got some good names which I never heard before like Krakus, Tiptree and Bonne Maman.
Anyway, I found out that Tiptree does have a distributor in Israel and I will try to call him up and and see if he can help me and direct me to which shops stock their products, or sell me direct a large pack of 12 jars, hopefully assorted and not just one flavour as I would surely get sick of it after a while.
They might be stocked by special gourmet shops with inflated prices, as I have never seen them in supermarkets.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Well, we mostly eat home made marmelade by Mrs TG. Either from our own garden (apples, quince, medlar, elderbery or red curent, or she goes out and buys the fruit. Of course once you start doing that you will find that grandmother, auntie or some neighbours have made some other, so you start to do a bit of a barter. To be honest, I don't think it takes THAT much work, especially as there are some of the ingredients you need which you can buy ready made. If I was you, I would give it a try, well worth it and the taste is much better than the one you buy...

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Just as I thought, the Tiptree jams are stocked by gourmet shops and I went inside one shop and saw several flavours with a price tag 60% higher than Hero.
I bought two jars to try out and they are indeed excellent, a bit too sweet for my taste.
They have 40% fruit and 60% sugar, almost like Hero (45% fruit and 66% sugar), while St. Dalfour has 100% fruit and no sugar.
So I think that I will stick to St. Dalfour for the time being, as I don't want to have too much sugar in my diet.
Or look for other brands with 100% fruit and no sugar.
When I have time, I will take T_G's excellent advice. :)

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Lol I remember my aunt used to make marmelade out of carrots. Wasn't that bad either! We also don't like it too sweet, so we always reduce the amount of sugar as much as possible.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I think my favourite jam is Damson, not too sweet, with a bit of a bite, can't beat home made, but the Polish ones I've tasted seem to be the best of the bunch. French jams seem a little too sweet for me, but the French do seem to like sweet things. :)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
HB13DISH said:
I will stick to St. Dalfour for the time being, as I don't want to have too much sugar in my diet.
Or look for other brands with 100% fruit and no sugar.
When I have time, I will take T_G's excellent advice. :)

There is a company called Whole Earth, that does a range of fruit jams without added sugar, they top up the ingredients with apple juice ( in most cases).

The Danube cherry we had was rather good (but is missing from the website ?)

_http://www.wholeearthfoods.com/products/spreads/

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
And just tried another Polish brand - Lowicz - (Fruit of the Forest and Cherry) ready for the wife's birthday .

Both have 35g of sugar per 100gms and 40gms of fruit.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Channel Hopper said:
And just tried another Polish brand - Lowicz - (Fruit of the Forest and Cherry) ready for the wife's birthday .

Both have 35g of sugar per 100gms and 40gms of fruit.

Sounds great.
Unfortunately the local stock here is very limited.
I have settled in the meantime to consuming the St. Dalfour brand jam and occasionally Hero.