What motor ?

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
i would also think that hotbird 13e is the 0 position. so with everything dish,motor all in a straight line with the motor set at 0 and the dish properly centered,loosen the tightening bolts on the motor and move the lot till you pick up the signal on hotbird.then tighten the bolts that you just un-loosened.CONGRATULATIONS!! your dish is now set :-) with the right dish elevation you should have no problem picking up the rest of the satellites.

TWAG

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Hi all
I managed to use the go to x function the latitude was out even though i had checked with skys above the correct latitude is 33 not 27 i have now scanned another 6 satellites but seem to be missing some still i cant seem to get hispatsat or thor any ideas,

T-E-E-N-A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GBsat 2CI0,
80cm dish,
SG2100 motor,
Matrix reborn cam,
Cas 3 programmer
My Location
Northern Ireland
dbolton said:
Hi all
I managed to use the go to x function the latitude was out even though i had checked with skys above the correct latitude is 33 not 27 i have now scanned another 6 satellites but seem to be missing some still i cant seem to get hispatsat or thor any ideas,

I'm no expert Dbolton, but are you using the strongest transponders list? I found this very useful when I was setting up my motor. When I set mine up I used thor as my 0 position. I did notice that my sat beeper wasn't very loud, but I checked the level indicator on the receiver. I could be wrong, but it worked for me.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
dbolton said:
Hi all

Sorry mate, but I think you are jumping the gun, you really need to strictly follow the setup rules, there is no other way.

You need to set your motor scale to the correct lattitude (as per heavens-above.com), then roughly adjust your declination on the dish elevation scale, as per my post above, then find Hotbird by pivoting the whole assembly on the pole and fine tuning the hotbird signal with the elevation on the dish scale. By this stage, you shouldn't have moved the motor using the receiver, it should be set at zero.

If you cannot find the extreme satellites on the arc, then you have to adjust the declination, or your pole isn't vertically plumb, your lattitude is 42N by the way, not either of the two figures you mention above..

PS. Please excuse my comments if I am getting the wrong idea from your post above. :)

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Hi Rolfw
yes i was in such a hurry to post i did make a mistake I meant the longitude(in the previous post) that was given on heavens above seems incorrect, I had got everything a bit muddled so i started from scratch, I set the motor at 42 latitude I then setup the go to X at the 0 position (the default for the box is 19.2 astra) but no signal i adjusted the longitude untill i got the best signal quality for astra 19.2 then adjusted the elevation untill i got the best signal quality after that all of the satellites i scanned from sirius to Eurobird came in, but nothing after that. It might be the pole has moved (which i will check tomorrow and also the elevation) i have a small hill to my east(800M)but that,s not where the problem is, The new longitude that i mentioned is 32.2East. I appreciate the help rolfw and reading back on my posts i wasn't very clear anyone could get the wrong ideas after reading them i wrote it in a hurry with my daughter calling me every two minutes for something. Thanks again.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
As far as I can see the longitude for Rome is 13E, have checked also on Multimap, so 13E is your due South satellite. You cannot change the lattitude setting from your corrrect lattitude, otherwise the arc will be incorrect. Unless you want to take a very long time setting this up, using 19E as the reference satellite will also give you an offset arc and 13E should be no more difficult to find, but give you a true south reference point.

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Ok I see your point i will start again and let you know how i get on, I will have to wait untill next weekend.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Don't get downhearted mate, it will really be satisfying when you get it working perfectly, I know how I felt after my first successful motorised installation. :)

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Hi no i haven't managed to move the dish about yet the weather has been too bad here to do anything. But i am going to change the dish i have, it got a bit damaged in transit and looks distorted and i can never be 100% sure what the problem is while using it. Anyway i was thinking of buying a gibertini 125 dish as i hear they are a good high gain dish i assume the aluminium dish are better going by prices I would like something a bit bigger like a 150 but i don't think the motor would hold it. Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks