What motor ?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
dbolton said:
I just saw this on ebay can anyone advise

Depends on you receiver - this motor requires a V-box to control it - do you have one? They also need a second cable to the dish.

The most popular motors are DiSEqC (most modern receivers control them).

They are more difficult to set up but can handle a dish up to 1.2m (max) and use the existing coaxial to control the position.

Both motors have their fans.

You will get a brand new DiSEqC motor on eBay for £50+.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
That's the Moteck, do a search on this forum and you'll find quite a bit of information, quite popular and works well. Is your receiver DiseqC or does it have a 36v positioner?

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
rolfw said:
That's the Moteck, do a search on this forum and you'll find quite a bit of information, quite popular and works well. Is your receiver DiseqC or does it have a 36v positioner?

Hi Rolfw

thanks for answering I have a fta box with DisqC

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You won't be disappointed with the Moteck, I have installed several and use one myself, very easy to install and a good quiet worker.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Looks a bit expensive and he charges £10 in the UK so may be expensive to send to Rome.

It's the same as my motor and, as Rolfw says, it's a good one.

Try your local eBay server and you're sure to get one cheaper.

h**p://www.ebay.it/

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Thanks Guys really appreciate the help I ran a search for the motor on ebay Italy not even one is available I found two in Germany I will have to see if they ship to Italy though.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The Maplin one is OK, but not as good as the Moteck or Stab, one of our members had a few problems with one as well.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
dbolton said:
I found two in Germany

Bought mine from Germany, on eBay, they shipped to the UK so Italy shouldn't be a problem.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
LOL, I bought mine from ...Scotland...! :eek:

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Ok I took the step and bought the moteck from creative satellite site, from the feedback it seems to be the best of the lot (the postage cost me nearly as much as the motor) when i receive it I will be bothering you all once again with annoying questions on how to set it up.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
dbolton said:
I will be bothering you all once again with annoying questions on how to set it up.

You can never do that here - some of us love it...

You will find a lot of helpful posts/guides here that you can read before the motor arrives to get you started.

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Thanks a lot I will have a look at them so at least i have the basics.

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Hi all
I am back the motor arrived (very long story top mark to the dealer at creative satellite) sorry about the plug rolfw but he went to a lot of trouble with couriers and tracking and calling me etc.. )Anyhow I started out saturday morning spent ages getting the pole perfectly vertical mounted the motor dish etc the manual says to point it at south but not magnetic south i didn't know how to do that so magnetic south it got, maybe this is part of the problem, then the big one could someone please explain to me what in the world is declination ??? Elevation ok but i couldn't figure it out, it says to have the elevation on the dish at 30 degrees and the elevation on the motor according to your latitude (here is my position latitude 42.0670N,longitude 12.7670E) so i adjusted the elevation on the motor to 42 and the dish to 30 but still nothing getting very frustated with this i found the section on go to x So i put in my lat and long into the receiver and tried for the differents sats still nothing, I eventually managed to get 28.2 and tried working around that then i got 28.5 then 19.2 then 13E but that's my lot nothing else, can anyone help me with this. The motor is the moteck SG2100.I hope i have included everything. Thanks in advane

cmanhome

Reaction score
I picked up a H-H SG-2100 motor off E-Bay a month ago for $59 US, plus shipping $25 and it works great here in Florida, Using mine with a Fortec Lifetime Ultra. Great for tweaking in satellites by yourself.

dbolton said:
Hi Rolfw

thanks for answering I have a fta box with DisqC

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
OK, here's how you do it.

Set the lattitude scale on the motor body to 42 degrees.

Swing the dish around to approximately due South, then swinging the whole assembly on the pole and adjusting the dish elevation only, find yourself Hotbird. If you have a meter or analogue receiver this is quite easy.

Otherwise, there is a calculation in the Moteck handbook for setting the dish elevation (or declination as it is called). According to my calculation, the angle on the dish scale should be 33.5 degrees. If this is correct, then you should be near enough on Hotbird.

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Hi Rolfw
this is what i did but all i managed to get was 2D then a moving west manually i got Eurobird then moving east and looking at the screen i got astra 19.2 a little later i got hotbird doing the same (v low signal quality it 45 it should be higher) the dish looks at like its at a strange angle as well (maybe its just me not used to seeing it been moved) but i can't seem to get anymore satellites in, should the go to x function find the satellites as it says in the manual or is it not as easy as it makes out ?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Set the motor to zero, then find Hotbird using the method above. You should not be driving the motor at this stage, do not touch the motor controls until you have found your reference point.