what receiver to buy

Jason Gradwell

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
cumbria
hi, everyone.

i'm a noob to the site and would like some advice on what sat box to buy. i want something like a technomate 800hd or dreambox. this box is to be installed at home for domestic use to get overseas football etc.. and as a noob to the site i'm not sure as to what i can and cant ask on here, i.e. about firmware and software etc...

Captain Jack

Retired human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
You need to figure out what channel broadcast the football you're after and then buy the appropriate subscriptions, if needed. Check Lovely Jubbly's Football site (Google it) for coverage.

Hixxy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800/7020Si/7000S, VU+ Duo, Skybox F3 & F5, TM1000D, Skystar 2 DVBdream, Triax TD110, Darkmotor, Inverto Black, Hotbird 13 Zone 2 MK 4, 28.2 Zone 1 MK4
My Location
East Midlands
Definitely do not get a Technomate TM800HD. They're nothing but trouble.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
If your looking at dreambox consider vu+ as well, the UNO, solo2 and ultimo are very good that's if budget allows.

The vu+ uno can now be made into a twin tuner receiver with dual tuner upgrade and has internal hdd space for recording, is good value for around 270.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You definitely need to decide which service(s) you are interested in FIRST. Then we can tell you if that one is even feasible in Cumbria.

You can ask many things, although we dont permit the discussion of anything illegal.

If you are hoping to get Prem footy, then be aware little foreign stuff is transmitted with English soundtrack these days.

Jason Gradwell

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
cumbria
Captain Jack said:
You need to figure out what channel broadcast the football you're after and then buy the appropriate subscriptions, if needed. Check Lovely Jubbly's Football site (Google it) for coverage.
thanks.

Jason Gradwell

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
cumbria
wod said:
If your looking at dreambox consider vu+ as well, the UNO, solo2 and ultimo are very good that's if budget allows. The vu+ uno can now be made into a twin tuner receiver with dual tuner upgrade and has internal hdd space for recording, is good value for around 270.
thanks for the reply, im just trying to figure out whats going to be best for me really, taking my time to find out whats what with being new to this. you also have to be carful what you post on here, as i dont want to be out of order by asking the wrong questions.

A nonymous

Reaction score
If you want a cheap well supported box have a look at the Maxview XP1000. I've used one and found then to be very fast and a complete joy to use. There are images available form some of the bigger Image teams for this box.

Most importantly it uses a MIPS cpu so you know that virtually all the plugins available for most Enigma 2 receivers will work on it. There are other boxes in the same price range as the XP1000 that claim to be better, but do not use a MIPS cpu so not all of the plugins are compatible with them as the majority are written for boxes that use a MIPS cpu.

If its your first time using an Emigma 2 Linux box then choose very carefully which box you go for.

You can buy the XP1000 from World of satellite who are one of the site sponsors.

Nano

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
newcastle29 said:
thanks for the reply, im just trying to figure out whats going to be best for me really, taking my time to find out whats what with being new to this. you also have to be carful what you post on here, as i dont want to be out of order by asking the wrong questions.
Have you decided which provider(s) you want to watch yet?

Some of them use their own boxes, and several arent available in your area without very big dishes indeed