What the hell is an Emu

cype

Reaction score
Bear with me, I'm a complete novice when it comes to this sort of stuff, but can someone please tell me what an emulator emulates?

How does it work? Do you upload it to the box or what?

Could anyone be as kind as to give a newbies introduction to emus?

cheers.

guiri

Reaction score
My Location
Manchester, UK
With respect to satellite systems, programme providers need a conditional access system which only allows people who pay for programmes to watch them. These typically consist of a module (CAM - conditional access module) in the receiver and then a smart card that goes into the module. The card and module combined allow the encrypted transmissions to be decrypted and watched.
If you don't want to use the system provided by the programme provider, you have to emulate part or all of it. When you put a titanium card into an original receiver, for example, you are emulating just the smart card.
If you upload new firmware to a receiver, you can also emulate the CAM and card without having to have the originals.
Smart card emulation can also be done with a season interface, which has smart card contacts on a pcb and a serial connection to a computer. The computer (in linux or windows) then takes over the job of the smart card. Software like wce gives a lot of debug information , so you can see what is happening with the underlying protocol.

boristhespy

Reaction score
So it it the case then that you could reprogramme the software in a FTA reciever such as the Comage sl55 to allow it to view scambled tv. If so can you point us to a guide?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
No the Comag SL55 (the one from Lidl) cannot be programmed in this way.

You will find updated software from Comag but not to decode any channels.

They do a version with aCAM slot that can be used to decode channels but not the SL55.

altis

Archived Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
MYOB
My Location
MYOB
cype said:
What the hell is an Emu?
It's a bird that is just too slow to save Rod Hull in his hour of need!

frunko

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, Humax HD Freesat, DM500HD, 90cm dish with technomate motor.
My Location
Highlands, Scotland
gameboy said:
No the Comag SL55 (the one from Lidl) cannot be programmed in this way.

You will find updated software from Comag but not to decode any channels.

They do a version with aCAM slot that can be used to decode channels but not the SL55.

Gameboy,

I found on the web an emu called "all7" for the comag SL55, it can be downloaded with the STB5518 program, Serial cable with pins 2-3, 3-2, 5-5.
I tried it on a friends reciever, and it worked very well - even decoded the latest TPS channels.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
frunko said:
In fact, I've just checked the site below, and now there is an "all8" emu to decode S*ca2 for the comag SL55 as well!!

Well worth a try - great news the Lidl box is now even better value.

stevo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreamboxhd 800 pvr
2 x dreambox 500s
globalstar-m6 free to air
1 metre dish
80cm dish
60 cm dish
all via diqsec switch.
My Location
england